Thanks

Captions out of order (Word 2002)

Well, it is time for my annual ordeal. The one where I take dozens of pictures of our dogs and then my wife has me sit next to her as she slowly goes through them all, again and again, to decide which one goes out with the Christmas cards. Again. This time I thought I was smart - I left her to her own devices, and she narrowed things down to around 12 finalists. I figured I'd pop them all onto 1 or 2 pages in Word and caption them with the photo numbers so she knows which is which.
    But Word doesn't want to make it that simple. I import each pic, resize it to approximately 1" x 1" or so, and then create the caption. Easy enough. Until I get to the second photo. Word, all of a sudden, doesn't want to put the captions under the appropriate photos. It doesn't even want to keep the previous caption the way I had it. It switches the text for Figures 1 and 2, and then switches the captions themselves. It is best explained visually, in the attached snapshot.
    The photo on the left is IMG_1124 and the photo on the right is IMG_1125. I did exactly as I described above - brought in the first pic (1124), resized it, and created the caption which read Figure 1 1124. Then I imported the second photo (1125) and resized it. But once I created a caption for the second photo which, when typed, read Figure 2 1125 ... I got what you see in the photo.
    Can anyone explain what has happened?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks

Re: Captions out of order (Word 2002)

Might be simplest to use a table. Hopefully that will keep the images and their captions together.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Or place each picture below the previous one instead of placing two pictures side by side.

Thanks

Well, it really should be a simple enough thing - I think we're all agreed there (emphasis on should ); and I could easily enough do a single column, but I was hoping for my wife to be able to compare them side-by-side as much as possible, and there are roughly a dozen of them, so I was also hoping to save paper.

I'll use the old standby - write the file names in by hand.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson's suggestion should do it - create a table with two columns, and place each picture in a separate cell. Captions will be placed in the cell, below the picture. Seems easy enough.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've run into this problem on Word 2003 also. I gave up on using the captions. I create a text box and place the text into that, then format the text box as center. That way you can re-size and position the box at will.
    I also created a new style for the text in the text box (slightly smaller and bolded) for convenience sake.