Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing documents I've created using styles (Windo

Hi,

I'm trying to re-educate myself on using styles when creating Word documents. I will be sending these files via email to others will print them up. The fonts I will be using are fairly standard, i.e. Arial.

Will the styles be preserved in the recipients' copies? Or is there anything I need to do to make sure they are? For instance, do they need a copy of the template in addition to the final document? I'd rather not provide templates if possible as they sometimes contain sensitive information. If a template is crucial, maybe I could create a template that contains just the styles and once the document is created (using my full template containing sensitive stuff) I could apply the "brief" extra template so the recipient has what is needed for the styles I apply?

Hope my wording is not too confusing, but I have created templates containing multiple sections for many years now, and want to start using styles to make sure formatting is always uniform. In fact, I remember using styles when I first started using Word back in the days of Word 5.1 (DOS Based)!!!

Also, once I've created a style (say I've called it IA for inside address), is there a quick way to apply this to a paragraph if I want to. I'm pretty sure I used to do this by holding down the Alt key and pressing the two letter code I created, i.e. Alt+IA.

Thanks so much for any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing documents I've created using styles (Windo

Styles are stored in the document, so if you send someone a document, you send the styles with it. No need to send the template with the document.

The Style dropdown on the Formatting toolbar by default only displays styles used in the document, so it should be easy to apply your custom styles.

It's possible to create custom toolbar buttons and keyboard shortcuts for a style, but these will be stored in the template, so it's easy for you to use them, but they will not be available to the recipient.
    (It's possible to store toolbar and keyboard customizations in the document, but it's a hassle)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing documents I've created using styles (W

Hi there Hans,

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. It has helped me greatly to know the styles are stored in the document. I've customised the styles and created my own which, as you point out, can be further optimised by creating toolbar buttons and/or keyboard shortcuts. I've created keyboard shortcuts for my styles.

Note: **I've posted a description of how to do this below for anyone who is interested.

Keyboard shortcuts automate formatting on the fly. The person I'm sending letters to sent me a sample to work with. No template, but lots of hard returns and spaces!

I've been itching to format things and have set up a template and added in the custom styles (i.e. I just press the Alt Key with the first two letters of the style, inside address would be Alt+IA). The template contains 60 sections, all formatted with styles in place, which makes things easier all round.

Again, Hans, I really do appreciate your help - I was worried I'd gone to all this trouble not quite knowing if the recipient would receive the document as intended with styles in place.

**Note** To apply a keyboard shortcut to styles, load a document with the template you will be using. Click AA (Formatting and Styles icon on toolbar) and use Normal View. (Go to Tools/Options/View in Word, scroll to bottom right hand corner of screen, "Styles Area Width" - I've chosen .5"). With Normal View applied, you will see style displayed on left viewing area, the document itself in the middle area, and Words Styles (plus custom if any) on the right-hand side. Right click the style on the right-hand side that you wish to apply a keyboard shortcut to. Click Modify. Check that all the settings are as you want them and click Format (Left hand bottom corner), then Shortcut. Enter the shortcut key you wish to apply (e.g. Hold down Alt key and press letters I then A, then let go of Alt key - I use this for Inside Address). Select the template you wish to have the shortcut stored in. I have a variety of people I send documents to, but I tend to use the same names for shortcut keys across the board. If I was to choose the Normal Template this would never work as they would keep overwriting themselves. Hence, I store the style keyboard shortcuts in individual templates as described. Press Close when finished.

When working on a documents based on templates with keyboard shortcut added to styles, click anywhere in a paragraph, and press the shortcut keys to apply the desired style.

Bye for now!