5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Uploading Files (XP Pro SP2)

Hello, I'm not sure if this is an XP problem. I can send email using Thunderbird and I can browse using Firefox. I can download files but I can't upload them using either Dreamweaver or WS_FTP95 LE. It's not my site at my wife can upload files using her computer. The two changes I have made recently have been to use POPfile rather than K9 for dealing with spam and I also started using a hosts file managed by HostsMan 3.0 . I guess the problem is something to do with one of these changes but I can't work out what. Even with POPfile and HostMan disabled I still have the same problem. Actually I only have HostsMan on when I'm making changes to the Hosts file. Has any one experienced this kind of problem Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Thanks

Re: Problem Uploading Files (XP Pro SP2)

You are talking about uploading files to a website, yes? - not just (e.g.) attachments to a post here?

I'm not so sure this is explicitly XP - perhaps the Networking or Web Design forums may be better, depending on your answer...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks For the reply, Leif. I just tried uploading a file to the test area as you suggested and I could do so. I think it must be a networking problem so I should continue there.

Best wishes,

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Try copying your hosts file to another folder and then make a minimal hosts file. Re-boot and see if you can upload files.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. I think I found the problem. It is something to do with my Sygate Firewall. I'm using an exe file created by autohotkey to launch applications. Under the Sygate options there is an Anti-Application Hijacking Option. I noticed that if I launched an application directly I could upload files. But using the shortcut key Sygate saw that as an application hijacking and automatically blocked access to the network. I made my exe file a trusted application and the problem seems resolved. What I don't understand is why it should start happening. I've had that option checked in Sygate for a very long time and had no problem with the autohotkey exe file before.

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Good work!! Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting the solution.

Joe
    Joe