3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fields in Outlook (XP)

When I and others create a new folder in Outlook the standard Fields, Importance, Icon, Flag Status, Attachment, From, Subject, Received, Size show. I assume this is the default settings. However we have one user who when she creates a new folder does not have From show. She has to go into the Modify views and add the From field. This has to be done for each new folder.

Have checked settings on both machines, and cannot see any differences. If the default settings are as I assumed above, how do I get them back for this user.

Did run Detect and Repair, but nothing changed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fields in Outlook (XP)

Outlook uses the Messages view for new mail folders. Let her customize the Messages view to include the From field.

Note: views are stored in the .pst folder (or in Exchange), so Detect and Repair doesn't help here.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Activate the View with the missing field, select View | Current View | Define Views | select "<Current View Settings>" | Reset | Apply View. Post back if this doesn't work.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. However, not sure exactly what you saying. When I check the message view for the inbox, From is there. It does not show up when she creates a new folder. Are you implying that each time she creates a new folder she will have to go into the Messae view and add From?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd try John's suggestion.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Have passed your suggestion on to client. Waiting to hear back.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook tends to apply settings to new Folders, including Views, that it inherits from a parent Folder. Therefore Hans' advice should work if applied to the topmost Folder which should use that View, or the Folder under which new Folders are created; for that matter, you may want your client to select the topmost Folder that uses the desired View if you use my suggested Reset View approach.
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have found that if I open the top most folder and follow your steps the reset is greyed out. If I do it from the Inbox folder, I can reset.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad it worked. Note that my instructions were "the topmost folder with the applicable View" - not simply the topmost folder, which may or may not have a View. If it is an Exchange mailbox, or the primary folder for delivery of messages in a standalone machine, the topmost Folder will be Outlook Today, and not have any other View; if it's any other PST it will have an associated View.
    UTC -7ąDS