5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Downsizing AVI's

Good evening

a recommendaton please for a solution (preferably free) for dramatically recucing the size of AVI's, I have used Camtasia Studio to record some instructions on using some software in the office, it is only about 8 minutes long but is a whopping 100mb so not suitable for sending out to the colonies by email.

Any suggestions appreciated

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Downsizing AVI's

After editing the Camtasia recording, Produce the video. You must have used the AVI option, I usually use the SWF option. In any case on one of the Production Wizard screen is a Frame Rate entry box. I enter 5 or less frames per second. For screen shots this is fine. If adding real video it need to be higher. The bottom line is low FPS means smaller files.

You can also set the frame rate during the recording process. In the recording window go to tools/Options/AVI and change the record rate to like 5 FPS. I use 5 for all my recordings which is fine for showing software actions. If recording webcam video it need to be higher or the action will be jerky.

I have been using Camtasia for many years recording training videos at work. I'm using version 2.1.2, would like to get v5 but version 2 does what I need.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See <post:=678,311>post 678,311</post:>.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by chrisgreaves on 20-Feb-08 08:50. Added discovery of 3 more formats.)</P>Steve, I'd be interested in learning of your reduction, if any.

I am using the FREE Camtasia 3.1.2 to produce a series of 3-minute training videos related to VBA.
    My scripts are written (well, the first twenty, at any rate), and Im ready to roll.
    I record the scripts as segments, then go into production.
    Camtasia presents me with four choices of video, so I experiment with each and discover that the size of the output varies dramatically. I use PKZIP25 and achieve some compression.

(size in KB)
    <table border=1><td>AVI</td><td>8,340</td><td>12%</td><td>SWF</td><td>466</td><td>n/a</td><td>WMV</td><td>2,155</td><td>16%</td><td>MOV</td><td>92,114</td><td>62%</td></table>
    SWF would appear to be the winner in terms of speed-of-download from my web site, although the sound is tinny, it seems to have lost the low-frequency signals.
    I read <post#=681,910>post 681,910</post#> where 5 frames per second or less is recommended.
    I changed the Frame Rate from Automatic to 5, and the AVI file shrank from 8,340 to 8,239.
    I changed the Frame Rate from Automatic to 1, and the AVI file shrank from 8,340 to 7,483.
    Neither reduction appears to be significant.
    Based on my limited experimentation truth is Im not at all sure what to change it seems that for the specialized subject area, the tinny WMF is about the best bet.
    Im assuming that anyone who wants to learn VBA at $3.00 for a 3-minute video will tolerate tinny audio it is, after all, a one-time play. Not as if I were Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets.

(later)
    I now find that there are seven output formats available. i should explore the additional three.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (13.3 KB, 0 views)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris

I Kind of gave in due to time constraints and stuck with what I know the old faithfull MW snap ( http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html ) and PowerPoint, 2 products that I can easily get around quickly, the result was OK but not as slick as Camtasia
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>I Kind of gave in <font color=448800>"kind of"? You were too apathetic to give in properly? (grin!)</font color=448800>

I'll persevere. There are a large number of options from which to choose in setting up the different formats - screen size, stretch or not etc.

I'm keeping a record of what I do to get this done - the behind-the-scenes stuff that happens before I get into a production treadmill.
    For anyone contemplating video training, some rough notes can be found here:
    http://www.vbasolutions.ca/VideoTraining.html

>the old faithful MW snap
    I checked it out. Good for still-snapshots, right? Not so good for watch-me-use-the-mouse stuff?
    I liked the ability to read out RGB values, but couldn't work out why they are reported in Hex!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I very recently (prior to this thread) tried to acquire that, along with the companion offer for SnagIt, but both expired in early January. I'm extremely sorry to have missed it. Vista has a convenient screen capture 'snipping tool', without all the bells and whistles of SnagIt.