New Lounger
    Thanks

copying text from MSword (2007 Word)

I am totally new to this board. Please Help!

I used to be able to copy text from Word 2000( from Office 2000 ) and paste into my Appleworks Word Processing document.( on the PC with XP Operating system). The pasted text would come in to my AppleWorks document as text. I was able to copy and paste text in this manner for years, no problems.

Recently I found that I could not copy text from MS Word and paste the text into my AppleWorks WP document as plain text. It will only paste in as an OLE object. There must be some setting in Word that is not allowing me to copy as plain text. But I cannot figure out how to undo it. I CAN use the "Paste Special" command in AppleWorks, and the select "Text", but in the past I did not have to perform this extra step.

Can anyone suggest a way to get the original functionality back, that is, copy text in Word, paste AS TEXT into AppleWorks?

Thanks

Re: copying text from MSword (2007 Word)

Hi Clara, welcome to the Lounge!

I didn't realize Apple had released AppleWorks for Windows. I see it was last updated in January 2004. So probably there won't be any fix for this from Apple....

When you copy text in Word, Word place multiple formats on the Clipboard. What is difficult to understand is why AppleWorks is choosing the OLE object rather than, say, plain text or rich text, which would be more convenient.

I don't know of any way to block Word from placing an OLE object on the clipboard, although perhaps that is possible. But it is possible to insert just plain text into the clipboard when copying in Word using a macro (Visual Basic for Applications procedure). You can assign a key combination (probably not Ctrl+C, since that should continue to work normally) so you would have quick access to it.

Sample macro solutions: <post:=86,852>post 86,852</post:> and <post:=71,156>post 71,156</post:> -- not tested with Office 2007

If you have never used the macro feature, these posts might help you get started: <post:=21,373>post 21,373</post:> and <post:=174,601>post 174,601</post:>

New Lounger
    Thanks

What I do not understand is why I USED to be able to copy without any problems between the two programs and all of a sudden I am not.

Thanks

<hr>What I do not understand is why I USED to be able to copy without any problems between the two programs and all of a sudden I am not.<hr>
    Is it the same program or did you switch to Word 2007? I was just taking a guess from the subject line of your post.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

I also cannot explain why you are having this problem. But I can suggest that you try Pure Text , which adds "a new Windows hot-key (default is WINDOWS+V) that allows you to paste *text* to any application without formatting". (http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext)

Pam C
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to make the question simple. It is not.

I have 3 computers all running on XP. The first two have been functioning well since I purchased Office2000. I was able to copy text for 7 years back and forth between MS Word 2000 and my Mac remnant Appleworks v5 '(97?)also running on my PC under XP . No problems.

Then I purchased a new laptop . I made sure to buy it with XP on it. But it came with Office 2007, thus MSWord2007. . On a recent trip I took my new laptop and had to do a lot of work, and realized that word 2007 is very different (was pretty mad because now I have to learn a new program) . When I saved the document, it ended up with .docx ending. This document then was transfered ( with a flashdrive) to my desktop at home and to my horror I found the glitch. Eventhough, I was able to open the document with my Word 2000 on my desktop computer (which then reverted to doc. ending), I am no longer able to copy text from Word'2000 to my Appleworks documents properly on any of the 3 machine. It ends up to be OLE thing, in a box like a picture and if I double click on it, it opens a Word document..

To make things worse, the third computer is acting the same way, although I do not remember using the flashdrive for a transfer of any kind. All 3 computers are linked to sync with each other using Firefox for internet access. ( Can that have anything to do with this "corruption"?) And how to undo it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

PS. To my last post. I tried old documents on the two old machines and theyhave the same problem. . I tried numerous possibilities and combinations. Word 2000 on the two older machines now copies and pastes OLE format, every time. ( I do not dare mess with the one that has Word 2007 on it.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post> on one of the PCs with Word 2000.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmmm. The Systemic Approach certainly sounds like a great possibility. Unfortunately I have no idea how to follow the directions, but my favorite guru (my son) should be able to make sense of it! Thanks for the info. Thank you to PamC and JScher also. Clara