5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading to Office 2007

Hello:

If I buy the Microsoft Office Standard 2007 upgrade, must a previous version of Office be installed on my computer to install the upgrade, or do I only need proof that I own a previous version?

I ask because I'm about to buy a new computer, but can purchase Office 2007 cheaper independently than Dell is charging to include it with the new computer. But if I purchase it independently, I don't want to have to install Office XP on my new computer, and then install Office 2007...

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Upgrading to Office 2007

You should only need proof (i.e. valid CD). See the last post at Vista Home Premium and Office 2007.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe. Here's the pertinent part:

<hr>7. When installer informs you that there is no previous valid installation of Office, it cannot continue, and prompts the user to set the correct path.
    8. At this time, remove the Office2k7 install media, and insert the O2k install media.
    9. Press <Return/Enter> key
    10. The O2K7 installation program will examine the disk to see that it is valid, and if it finds that it is, will then prompt the user to return the O2K7 install media.<hr>

1. This refers to Office 2000. Do you know if it also holds for Office XP?

2. The page you cite contains this note: "The old Office2K license becomes subsumed into the Office2K7 license, and will not be able to be reused." Do you know if this means that my old version of Office (XP) will be rendered illegal on my old computer?

Thanks again!

Administrator
    Thanks

I'm sure that it works for all prior versions of Office. Since you are using your old version to validate that you can install an upgrade version of 2007, you should not use the old version. Your old version will not be rendered useless but it would still be against the terms you just agreed to for Office 2007 to continue to use it. It would be considered illegal.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Does your Dell ship with MS Works? If so Office 2007 can use that for upgrade purposes

Products that can be used to upgrade to Office 2007 Standard are:
    Microsoft Works 6.010; Microsoft Works suite 20002006 or later; any 20002007 Microsoft Office program or suite; any Microsoft Office XP suite except Office XP Student and Teacher.
    Taken from 2007 Microsoft Office system pricing

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

Am I missing something, or is this just unfair? You say this doesn't render the old version useless, but if it's illegal to use the old version on the old computer -- and only the old computer -- then it seems pretty useless, no?

Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Tony. I might have an old Works CD, though my new computer doesn't come with Works.

Administrator
    Thanks

Most upgrades are this way. It is assumed by the software vendor that you are upgrading the software on the machine where the older version is installed. The newer version takes over for the older version unless specifically stated otherwise. Hardly anyone lets you buy an upgrade, install it on a separate system and then use the new & old versions. That would be cutting off potential sales.

Joe
    Joe