3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting User Profiles

I have a friend who would like to delete the one user profile that is on his W98 machine, but wants the settings he uses in that one profile to become the default. I have reviewed this Support & Services article, but I can't find anything that discusses where the default settings come from. Are there any tricks to doing this?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting User Profiles

After setting up profiles for everyone in the family, they complained about using them, so I deleted all of theirs, then mine as the LAST one. My machine kept all of those settings as the new defaults. Also, in Control Panel/Users, you should check that all users share the same settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bill, do you still have to go through the step of indicating that yours is the profile you want to use each time you start Windows? I have eliminated all users other than myself but would sure like to have Windows automatically use my profile without asking me each time.

Jim Talbert

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I eventually merged all profiles into one, deleted them all, and then X'd/Escaped out of that screen till it quit asking (it seemed to'learn' that I was ######ed). That cleaned the slate, I guess, and it's been fine since. Be careful. It makes you believe in voodoo...
    I read that WinXP solves this with change-on-the-fly.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much, Bill. I gathered all the info to merge my profiles and realized that it would be more work (and risk) than I was willing to undertake. I may eventually do it if I'm stuck with WIN 98. Do you know whether there is a program that determines whether one's current applications will work under XP?

Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I only merged them because I needed to keep some of the elments of the other profiles - you can find the profiles (do a search for "profiles", I forget where in the Windows folder they are) and just delete them. Better still, move and rename them till you're sure all works well without them.
    As to XP, the ONLY way to really know if a program will run is to call the software manufacturer. Do this only for the important ones. You can bet those guys will know.
    If Woody gives his blessing to XP, I'll be doing it too.