5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Limitations of Academic Version? (2007)

Hello:

Since I am a teacher, I would qualify for the academic version of Office Standard 2007, which is cheaper than the non-academic versions.

But before I make this purchase, are there any limitations I should be aware of? Does the academic version differ from its non-academic counterparts?

Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Limitations of Academic Version? (2007)

See The Ultimate Steal presented by Microsoft for the possibility of an even better price if you qualify. Also, from How educators can save on Microsoft software: "1. Contact a Microsoft Authorized Education Reseller
    Our most popular retail products are available as Academic Edition full packaged product (FPP), which include the same great software as the regular retail versions but with discounted pricing."

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

It's confusing!
    <UL><LI>There is "Academic" licensing, through your affiliation with an institution, which is merely a different price and a possible restriction to academic use.
    License types: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/su...678741033.aspx

<LI>And then there is the "Home and Student" edition, which is similar to Standard, but instead of Outlook you get OneNote.
    Product bundle info: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/su...635841033.aspx[/list]Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. Definitely wouldn't want Home and Student, since I need Outlook. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

The offer is good as long as you qualify. You may have to download them. To me downloading them would be a small price to pay for paying $59.95 USD for software that retails for about $679 USD. The eligibility page at The Ultimate Steal presented by Microsoft says you can order a DVD for a small charge.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

That is unbelievable -- $60 for the Ultimate version! And according to https://store.digitalriver.com/DRHM/servlet...amp;Env=BASE#q4, this is a retail version, not an academic license.

But, as they say, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. To wit:

1. It appears that with this "ultimate steal," there is no CD; instead, you have to download a couple files. Is this accurate?

2. The two files to download -- 502 MB and 385 MB -- seem small (even if they're zipped, which I suspect they are). By contrast, if I recall correctly, my copy of Office XP is two or three CDs...

Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

You should also check with your employer (school system) to see if they are a Microsoft® Volume Licensing Software Assurance customer (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/bene...use_rights.mspx).

My company is, so we get to purchase Office 2007 through the Home Use Program for US$20.