Star Lounger
    Thanks

bad net security uodate (winxp sr2)

I downloaded something called :security Update for .net v2,9 That interfers with web site addressing. Things are fine if you input the url directly on google. It provides a page saying .net error for clicking on a favorite or a readdress on the site. The update history claims it is broken. You can't get the error message on that because the thing no longer works properly. I stupidly assume that reinstallation might cure the problem; however I can't find a way to do that. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: bad net security uodate (winxp sr2)

Uninstall it. That appears to be a bogus update. There is no .NET 2.9. The current versions are 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 SP1, 3.0, 3.0 SP1, & 3.5. From .NET Framework Conceptual Overview see on the right side:

This page is specific to
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2008/.NET Framework 3.5

Other versions are also available for the following:
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2003/.NET Framework 1.1
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005/.NET Framework 2.0
    .NET Framework 3.0

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. That helps.

I tried to uninstall in "add remove programs". This wouldn't uninstall; it claims that it has made an error and terminates and remains listed. I tried installing 3.5 but it claims that I have to uninstall earlier versions so I still have a problem.

Thanks

Below is a copy of part of a message from Microsoft Support regarding .NET removal and install.
    Try it from Step 1 through the last step. It worked fine for me when I was having a problem with their last .NET update.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
    =============================================
    1. Please visit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9...1BD/msicuu2.exe
    2. Save the file on your Desktop
    3. Double click the file msicuu2.exe on the Desktop to install this tool on the computer.

Step 2: Remove the previous version of .NET Framework 2.0 if installed.
    ================================================== ===
    1. Click Start -> (All) Programs->Windows Installer Clean Up.
    2. Please locate and remove all .NET Framework products.

After removing .NET Framework components, let's reinstall .NET Framework 3.0 and its updates.

Step 3: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0
    ================================================== =====
    1. Click the following link:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=70848

2. When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.

3. After completing the above steps, please restart the computer and install the updates for NET Framework 3.0 from the following links:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/9...x30SP1setup.exe

Update for .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB932471)
    http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdo...01a583dbb81.exe
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ( I don't know why the "links" didn't show as LINKS here but you will have to copy them manually. I suppose)
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks

.NET 3.5 will install .NET 2.0 SP1 & .NET 3.0 SP1 if they are not already installed. Other older versions such as 1.0 or 1.1 can coexist with the newer versions. Although 1.0 (plus any fixes and service packs) is no longer supported. What did you try to uninstall? Can you post a screenshot of you add/remove programs list with the .NET versions showing?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The ideas seem like the correct thing to do but I seem to run into an execution problem. The thing that doesn't work that started my quest was that I can type into google and find and connect to a site but when the screen from the site appears with a further reference, it won't find the correct site. Some programs work ok but some don't. One thing that happens when the correct site does not come up is that an instance of iexplore comes up that is in a loop so everything almost comes to a halt. The other symptom is that the desired site flashes thru occasionally but it doesn't remain visible. I found, by poking around, that the upgrade to net framework 2 showed an error on installtion when using the automatic ms update. This caused me to try to remove that and reinstall.

I have a copy of the uninstaller program on the desktop so I can actually perform that operation. Inasmuch as I do not have a copy of the version 3 on the desktop, I cannot run that application because of the problem described above. In order to remedy that problem, I reinstalled (upgrade) the win xp system. That installs a clean copy of net framework 2. Crazy, I guess, I decided to put on the MS updates before continuing. AFter doing that, I again have the sympton described above, namely, I cannot get any file that is not directly addressed by google and the iexplorer problem. My only thought at the moment is to resinstall the OS again and try to work this problem without the kit of MS updates. Do you fellows have another approach that might seem a little less random. The other thought that occurs to me as I write this is that I could download the version 3 software on another computer and install the api from that. Anyway, pls comment if possible.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Most probably you have a malware which is using .Net Framework 2.0 to execute. Update your antivirus program and perform full system scan. Then update your anti-spyware program(s) and perform full scan. If these programs are disabled or you cannot update them, you must to reinstall Windows.

To do so, backup (copy to removable media) your documents, personal files, settings, etc. Check for installation CDs or installaton files for all your installed programs. Make sure you have all Installation keys available. Then boot your computer from Windows Installation CD (or your computer's Restore CD) and destroy your existing partitions, create a new one(s), install Windows on new (raw) partition, install and update your Antivirus program, then visit Windows Update and install all available updates. You will be prompted to reboot your computer once or twice, go to Windows Update after each reboot and install all next available updates until there will be no more updates after reboot. Next install Microsoft Office, visit Microsoft Update and also install all available updates. Check for updates once again after reboot. Repeat this procedure after installation of each program. Download (from http://java.com) Sun Java 6 Update 3 and install it. Visit Adobe.com and install Adobe Reader and Flash Player. Install spyware programs, update them and run full scan. Install Firewall program last. After that, restore your documents, personal files, apply your settings, etc. Full clean reinstallation process usually requires two to three days of work, that's why it is recommended to make backups (or, better, "images" of your installation) periodically. Native Windows Restore IS NOT a substitute for backup or imaging, as you can see.

By the way, .NET Framework v.2.0 does not supersede .NET Framework v.1.1; .NET Framework v.3.0 does not supersede neither v.2.0 nor v.1.1; .NET Framework v.3.5 does not supersede v.3.0 etc. In other words, if it is necessary, on your computer may be installed .NET Frameworks v.1.1. SP-1, v.2.0 SP-1, v.3.0 SP-1 and v.3.5 "side-by-side".

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fellows, you were wonderful with the suggestions. You were so right re the malware. Fortunately, I was able to remove that with PCtools applications. I then reinstalled winxp and everything is glorious. Amazing. The thing I really learned from this was that one shouldn't always look toward MS software problems. That attitude has been ingrained with several decades of experience with MS and will be difficult to break.

Administrator
    Thanks

Well, I'm glad you got it resolved. I'm sorry you had to go through the pain of a reinstall.

Joe
    Joe