2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing PowerPoint (2003)

When I originally installed Office 2003, I didn't install PowerPoint as I had no need for it. Now, 2+ years later, I do need PowerPoint and need to install it. I installed the Office CD and started the process but then canceled it. I am concerned about what effect the process will have on my installed Word, Outlook, and Excel components because the process seems to imply that it will update those programs (although they won't be updates but backdates).

I need some advice about how to safely install PowerPoint without making any changes to the already installed Office components.

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing PowerPoint (2003)

Before you take my advice, let me request that you wait for a few more "confirmations". I cannot see that installing PPT will make any remarkable or negative changes to the current installed applications. I have many times, on training PC at my work, added applications to the current installed Office apps, and it really did not alter the functionality of the installed apps at all. I can add that the process I refer to was usually the case where Excel, Word and PPT were installed and then I added Access from the CD.
    Regards,
    Rudi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Rudi. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

When you install from the Office CD, there is no way to say just install PowerPoint. The installation routine asks you to check those items you want installed/updated. Word, Excel, and Outlook are prechecked because they are already installed, but I don't want any changes made to them (unless as part of PowerPoint's installation routine). However, if you decheck them, you are told that they will be uninstalled -- which I don't want either. So I'm not sure what to do. This is one of those things that Microsoft has always made unclear, at least to me.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using the Custom Installation?

Also see this page: Installing Office 2003. Particularly point #6
    Regards,
    Rudi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The link to Smart Computing deals with a fresh install.My problem is that I am uncertain what the effect will be on already installed components. Customization doesn't avoid the checklist.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the defaults it offers you are your current configuration, anything you don't change will be left alone.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Stuart. I took the jump (after first making a System Restore point and backing up everything) and you are correct -- all it did was install PowerPoint and touched nothing else. I don't understand why MS has to make it so nerve wracking -- changing a couple of words would resolve the fear factor. But at least it is done.