5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Memory card reader (Home Premium)

I have a new HP desktop with a 5 in 1 memory card reader. After bootup card reader shows up in Computer as drives F,G,H,I. Also show up in Device Mgr as Portable Devices. I can download successfuly the photos on my XD memory card. But, when I Safely Remove Hardware all the drives (F thru I) disappear. Ditto for Portable Devices. Putting an XD card back in reader does nada. Vista just doesn't recognize the hardware anymore. If I reboot all the drives reappear and i can successfully download again. Spent hours on the phone with HP tech support, to no avail (updated drivers, etc.) They even sent me a new card reader, which I installed with same results. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Memory card reader (Home Premium)

I take it this is a built-in card reader?

I have a USB multiple-card reader that adds multiple drives when connected. If I do go the 'Safely Remove Hardware' route, I simply unplug it and plug it back in - but then it is USB.

On my Sony laptop, I have a built in card reader (single) which I never bother to remove - I just make sure all explorer windows showing it are closed and nothing is being written to it. I have had no problems to date.

Do you really need to 'Remove' it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Instead of removing hardware try right clicking the device and selecting "Eject". When the drive contents disappear you can remove the card.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a built-in card reader. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you never bother to remove the Sony card reader. I'm talking about the card itself, not the reader. I thought the safe way to remove trhe card was to either Eject, or Safely Remove Hardware. When I do that the Drives disappear from Computer, as if I had removed the reader itself. I too have a laptop (also HP) and everything works just fine on it.

Thanks

Sorry - I meant I never go through any 'Safely Remove Hardware' routine - I simply pull out the card. Do you know if you need to?

When you 'Safely Remove Hardware' for the reader itself, you WILL remove it from the system until it is reconnect (at boot time). I suspect you should not need to, or as was suggested by Joe, you do an 'Eject'.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bingo! Clicking Eject on my drive F did the trick. All the drives are still there. When I insert another card it is recognized!
    What is the difference between Safely Remove and Eject, or shouldn't I ask?
    Thanks Joe,
    Howard

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarification. As you can see from my answer to Joe, Eject is the way to go. I see that you can safely remove the card by making sure it is not being read or written to and closing any Explorer window showing the drive. Silly me, I tried to follow the "rules".
    As usual, Woody's Lounge solved the problem in a fraction of the time that HP tech support took (six hours!). And they never really came up with an answer.
    Thanks again to all.
    Howard