New Lounger
    Thanks

Front Page 5 to Expression Web? (version 5)

My son has created a website (www.alecphoto.com) in Front Page 5 on a Win98 machine. He is finally ready to upgrade to a new machine and something newer than Front Page 5. If he gets Expression Web, will he be able to access and edit his ancient Front Page 5 website? Or should he maybe go with Front Page 2003? Or something else? His website has over 5,000 photos, so switching over to something like Dreamweaver would be practically impossible.

Thanks for any and all help!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Front Page 5 to Expression Web? (version 5)

Hi Charlie

Taking a quick glimpse of the source code of a couple of pages they look pretty "clean". When I say clean, I mean it does not have all the horrible coding that MS Frontpage tends to add.

Even the gallery uses good, clean HTML source. So, with a good back up set aside I reckon it would be reasonable for him to go off and upgrade the Web Editor software.

Personally and this is my own view, I absolutely detest Frontpage in all its flavours because of all the superfluous code it adds. I don't know where you got the idea that Dreamweaver would be impossible, in fact it would probably be a blessing in disguise as it will map the whole site and make it easier to update the code and look and feel.

Tell your son that his images are absolutely beautiful
    Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Front Page 5 to Expression Web? (version 5)

Expression Web is an entirely different product from Frontpage. He should have no problem with his web site if as Jerry says it is fairly clean. Expression Web supposedly produces a good HTML & CSS based web site without all the junk that FP used to add. I've just played with it a bit and can say that it looks good. It appears to be easy to use. See Microsoft® Expression® for more information about Expression Web. It appears to be an inexpensive upgrade for FrontPage users but be sure to check that out to ensure that his version of FP qualifies.

Joe
    Joe