2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Works 7 Spreadsheet

I have an irritating problem with the spreadsheet functions of Works 7, specifically formatting the alignment of columns and setting the number of digits in a column. I'm probably going to have to live with this, I suspect, but thought I'd ask the experts if there may be any solution: The problem:

When I create a new spreadsheet (.xlr) I have no problem in highlighting individual columns and then setting both the text alignment in columns and the default number of digits in other columns - and, as long as I don't add any extra rows to my spreadsheet I'm home and dry!

However, Works 7 spreadsheet seems to have a default setting of 'general' for its alignment function and '5 digits' for its number of digits function. My problem comes when I want to insert an additional row in my spreadsheet. Works 7 immediately treats that particular row as having all the default functions (ie, alignment set to 'general' and number of digits set to '5' when what I set the original spreadsheet for was 'left' and '8' respectively). This isn't life threatening! But it is beginning to annoy me intensely.

Question: Is there any way of altering the Works 7 spreadsheet default values so that I don't have to keep re-setting the values of the individual columns for the rows I insert. Or am I, as I think I expect, going to have to live with the problem.

Grateful for any/all comments - By the way, am I correct in thinking that the Works 7 spreadsheet is a 'stripped down' version of Excel? Or am I way off the mark?

Thanks,
    Keith

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Works 7 Spreadsheet

I hope that you'll get a reply, but don't hold your breath. I don't think there are many Loungers who use Works - if they use a spreadsheet, they use Excel.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

G'day Keith,
    To change the columns format in the SS, you need to "mark a block" as we used to call it. If you click on the columns header, the entire column should turn black, then go to Format / Number and set your values to taste. You should then be a happy camper. Caveat: I am a MSWorks 4.5a user, so I hope version 7 remains similar. Good Luck. Rod.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, MSWorks is a very basic form of excel, and data can be copied between platforms, the Works Database is a flat file format, and the original design of Works was to enjoy the benefit of having a closely related "Suite" of word proc / spreadsheet and database. I still use Works for evaluating trends in a 4 million record database, but Works is confined to 32,000 records and 256 fields, albeit a nice handy, simple piece of software.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Rod - Looks like you've hit the nail on the head. As soon as I marked a block by clicking on the column header and setting the parameters I wanted, then inserted lines seem to pick up whatever I'd set the column to. Great!

What I was doing wrong before was to go to the row number 1 column entry (rather than the column header), 'block' the length of the column that I wanted (shift + down arrow key) and then set the parameters - then, whenever I inserted a row it defaulted to Works 7's settings. Now I know why!

Really glad to know that there's someone out there that knows their way around spreadsheets - watch this space, I may be back!!!

If you see Hans, tell him I've stopped holding my breath - thankfully!!!

Your help much appreciated Rod

Cheers,
    Keith

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good to see you rid of that annoyance [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] , I am not much of a spreadsheet man, I love the database. For either, our Bible is MSWorks Version 3.0 Manual, it gives <ALL> the tricks of the trade with MSWorks in all its glory, so if you are hunting around old Bookshops, keep an eye out for it, esp if you need to put the powerful "functions" to work. Merry Christmas. Rod.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for it - sounds like it might come in useful.
    And Merry Christmas to you as well
    Keith