3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mailing Labels (2003 SP2)

Every time I try and do this, I wind up feeling like a complete idiot. I have so far been unsuccessful at creating and printing mailing labels using Outlook.

I have filtered my contact list by category so that I see only the folks I want the labels for. I have gone to Tools>Mail Merge, selected All Contacts in Current View and Contact Fields in Current View. The document file is "new". The permanent file box is not checked. Under Merge options, "mailing labels" are selected and Merge to is set at "new."

Clicking OK opens up Word and gives me a message box about having to click "Setup" in Section 1 of the "helper" dialog. I click "setup" and then select the printer type and the specific Avery labels I am using. I click OK and am returned to the helper dialog with 3 sections. From here, I get nothing useful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have read over Woody's old holiday letter posts and see stuff related to merging Outlook and Word data, but nothing on mailing labels. Surely there must be an easier way to do this.

D.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailing Labels (2003 SP2)

Try clicking Edit in Section 1 of the helper dialog. The document will then be filled with labels.
    Activate the Mail Merge task pane and/or the Mail Merge toolbar. Go to step 4 on the task pane if you use that.
    Set up the first label on the page the way you want, with merge fields and any fixed text you want.
    Than click Propagate Labels on the task pane or toolbar. This will copy the setup of the first label to the rest.
    Then continue as usual with a mail merge.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

When I click edit as you suggest, all I get is a blank document. There are no labels visible.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you select Mailing Labels as merge type, you should first see a Setup button where you select a label setup. After that, the button caption should change to Edit, clicking it and selecting the document should display the labels. If that doesn't happen, I don't know why.

Oh wait, you do display table gridlines on screen, don't you? There is an option in the Table menu to show or hide gridlines.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it very much. This shouldn't be so hard, and what adds to the frustration is that this happens to me just about every other time I try it. Last year was a lost one so no mass mailing.

OK. Let me go through this step-by-step and report back the results of each action.

Start with Outlook open and Word closed.
    Click Tools>Mail Merge and get the "Mail Merge Contacts" dialog box.
    Select "All contacts in current view" and "Contact fields in current view" radio buttons.
    Document file is set to "New document".
    Under "Contact data file" the "permanent file" box is not checked.
    Under "Merge options," the "Document type" is set to "mailing labels"
    and the "Merge to" is set to "new document".
    Click OK.
    Word opens and a message box pops up over a blank document saying that I have to click "setup" in Section 1 of the Mailmerge helper dialog.
    Click OK
    Mailmerge helper dialog box opens over blank document. It has three sections.
    Click "setup" in section 1 and get the "label options" dialog box.
    "Laser and inkjet" radio button selected.
    Avery 8660 selected as label type.
    Click OK.
    Back to Mailmerge helper dialog box.
    Section 1 (main document) has "create" and "edit" buttons.
    Section 2 (data source) has "get data" and "edit" buttons.
    Section 3 (merge the data with the document) has only a "query options" button ("merge" button grayed out).
    If I select "edit" in section 1, I get a blank word document with a little square with crossed arrows in the upper left. If I turn the gridlines on, I can see them, but there is no data in the document that I am aware of.

This is where I am stuck.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I gather from your description that at the end of these steps, the document contains a blank table. (The little square is the handle by which you can drag the table around).
    The following works best if you show gridlines.
    Make sure that the Mail Merge task pane is visible.
    Click in the top left cell of the table.
    Go to Step 4 in the task pane.
    Click More Items...
    Insert merge fields as needed. If you use the More Items dialog, it may be best to insert them in one bunch, then close the dialog and insert spaces, returns etc. to format the label the way you want.
    When you're done, click Propagate Labels (in the task pane). This will copy the setup of the top left label to the others.
    Go to the next step in the task pane to see a preview of your labels.
    Then go to the last step to merge to a new document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans.

There is no "mail merge" task pane visible.

There is a word doc open with a blank table indicated by gridlines and there is the outlook contact list.

Do I have to set mail merge running from the Word environment now?

Douglas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Tools | Letters and Mailings | Mail Merge Wizard. This should make the task pane visible.
    Alternatively, select View | Task Pane, then select Mail Merge from the dropdown list at the top of the task pane.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, that did it. I did not understand that I next needed to open a mail merge session within Word.

Once again, thank you for your assistance and patience. Hopefully next year, I will be able to do this without all of the hand holding.

Peace,
    Douglas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Mail Merge command in Outlook merely initiates the mail merge in Word and sets the data source for the mail merge to the contacts you specify in Outlook. After that, you must continue with the next steps of the mail merge in Word. Outlook cannot do that for you, nor Word for that matter, because they don't know which fields you want to use and how you want to position them in the label.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a great addin tool for this in the Microsoft Office Downloads > Marketplace > Printing section published by tools4contacts.
    MS MarketPlace

or you can go directly to the publishers website
    http://www.tools4contacts.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I complained to Microsoft at every seminar they gave about the complicated system of printing labels. Then I found a tiny little app (Aladdins - Envelopes & Labels 6.5 Pro) that fits right in Outlook and at the push of a button (ok - 2) you get a perfect label printed. You can print one label or a hundred, design your own using a logo, and have a template for different sized envelopes. I love it and wouldn't be without it. They'll let you try it for free for 15 days and buy it for $39.95 - well worth it. It's made printing Christmas card envelopes a nothing little chore.

Check it out at http://www.software-solutions.co.nz/.../alelabout.asp

jcg

Thanks
    If the above do not solve it, Slipstick lists some other programs here: Printing Labels or Envelopes for Microsoft Outlook Contacts > Other Tools.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This has been really helpful.

I had exactly the same experience as dhfifield. I went through the same process time after time but got nowhere. I hadn't realised either that you need to open Word after doing the Mail Merge bit in Outlook. The documentation is clear as mud!

After reading these posts, I successfully created my labels.

Thanks again, Lounge Secrets!!!