2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Permission (Access 2003)

Well, guys, here I am with my usual Christmas problems. Today I have lost all the connected computers that we use to process the Christmas gifts for the project. It all started with one record becoming corrupt. I know that there are three records that are no longer showing in the table. I did compact and repair the back end database and am able to access it from the computer where the back end resides. However, all the other computers that are linked wirelessly are no longer able to access the database. 'the message is that the user does not have permission to access the data or that the database is open in exclusive mode. I have not assigned permissions to this database and am unable to figure out how to get thigs back to normal. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I will post this and drive home from work--hopefully someone will read it and know exactly what to do so that I will be able to get a few hours sleep before heading b ack to work at 7 am.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Permission (Access 2003)

1. Have you checked that the .ldb file disappears when nobody has the .mdb file open? If an .ldb file remained behind, try to delete it.

2. Have you tried refreshing the links to the backend (in Tools | Database Utilities | Linked Table Manager)?

3. Do you have a recent non-corrupt backup? If other measures fail, restoring the backup may be your best bet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you-- will try those-- sadly, the autoback up has copied the file over all but one copy but it would not have helped much if it had not--(there was a non corrupt one day old copy but hundreds of records had been changed so it was not much help -- I DID make a copy of THAT as soon as I knew this had happened) but this project has less of a paper trail than regular work and so many changes are made in even 15 minutes that I am better off using this copy until Saturday when the project is over and then copy the non corrupt records into a new table and fixing the database (but cant do that until after Christmas.) Would it help to delete the records that are plainly at fault and attempt to reenter them? Have you ever had access fail to stop two workers from making an entry into the same record at the same time? Usually I would expect one worker to be told they could not make changes but this time that didnt happen and here I am. (I was not one of the folks working as I had been called to the other room so am not exactly sure what they did.) I will try to refresh - perhaps just make a new front end on that computer? IF the problem is at the front end; I can make a reasonable work around but if it is coming from the back end, I dont know what to do.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have all PC's been rebooted after the problem occurred? Sometimes, problems that linger in memory disappear after restarting the PC.
    Since you mentioned that you can access the backend from your frontend, the backend is probably not the problem, apart from the damaged records. So you could try giving the persons experiencing problems a fresh copy of the frontend.