3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Video card for Dell OptiPlex 170L

I am thinking about buying a new video card for my OptiPlex. I have never worked with them or bought one. Currently my screen gets really fuzzy and 'colorless' when my daughter uses educational CD's. What is a good card to buy for that?
    I've done just a little reading on AGP's, PCI's and PCIe's. How can I tell which one I need for my OptiPlex? I don't need to buy a super charged card, just something that does better than the current one.

Thanks

Re: Video card for Dell OptiPlex 170L

It depends on what model Optiplex you have.
    I don't use Dell but you could go to this Dell site and see if it lists your model there and see what the choices are.

DELL OPTIPLEX
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

You will need a PCI card. Your owner's manual will give you all of the details of your system. If you've lost the manual, you can download another one here .
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This problem sounds a little strange and it might be worth while identifying the problem more before buying a new video card. Perhaps you could say what your current video card is, what your current display is, and what your display settings are (screen resolution, color quality and the display refresh rate). Right click on empty portion of desktop, then on Settings to get the display settings. If you continue to the advanced tab you can see how your computer identifies your display adapter and monitor.

My gut reaction is to suspect the "educational CDs" . It is nor uncommon for specialized software to need and therefore automatically set the color scheme to only 256 colors. You might check to see if there are "system requirements" on the CD packaging. In particular, pay attention to the number of colors and the display resolution required.

Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that Paul. This particular computer is at home (I'm at work now) so I'll check those settings again, although I went through all of them.
    Yes, I always notice as soon as the program starts it immediately changes settings. I have it set to 1024x768 and it sets it to 800x600 or something different than that even. Often, after closing the program it will not refresh itself and sometimes my desktop background is just white. I have my refresh rate set as high as the monitor allows.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If your display is an LCD with native resolution of 1024 x 768, then when the application sets it to 800 x 600 it will look "fuzzy".

Paul