2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

data file management (2007)

I have been connecting to a second, networked pst file for sometime. For unknown reasons I can no longer connect and receive this error message "Errors have been detected in the file 'file_path'. Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool." I have compacted all pst files and used scanpst on both with no error detected. Each pst file works on its own computer. The network is open and I have the same problems with the firewalls turned off (Norton)

Any ideas?
    nebbia

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: data file management (2007)

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We use it just to check a second calendar. Its always worked in the past. My question has more to do with why am I now having this problem

nebbia

Administrator
    Thanks

See "The 2 GB Limit" section in PST Maintenance.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The file has been compacted. It was never greater than 2 gb. Presently it is around 1.4 gb

Administrator
    Thanks

Well, let's get something straight first. Is the PST file in question on a file server or is it just a shared file on a PC? Have you re-booted all the machines in question?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are two pst files. One is on this computer the other on a LAN The files on the LAN are shared and available. Again each pst file works on its home outlook program. Interestingly other pst files in the same directory e.g. backup.pst are accessible across the LAN. The problem seems to be some pst corruption but only when accessed over the network

All computers have been rebooted

nebbia

Administrator
    Thanks

I'd suggest that you have the owner of the file try to recreate it - shut down Outlook, move the PST file to another folder, rename it, open Outlook (a new PST should be created), then import the data from the old PST. If you still have problems then you could quite possibly be running into some of the issues mentioned in the various articles previously linked. When a technique is not supported it may work for a while (and a 'while' could be a long time) and then fail when volume hits a certain lever or a user decides to do something in a slightly different manner.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I exported the networked file to a different location, renamed it and copied it to the same folder as outlook.pst. I had no trouble accessing the file. I then renamed the original outlook file and renamed my copied file to outlook.pst. It is working exactly as it did before. Thank you for the help

nebbia

Administrator
    Thanks

You're welcome. Sometimes there are errors or garbage that the recovery programs are not even able to detect. Hope it remains OK.

Joe
    Joe