Lounger
    Thanks

Fail to Copy (Ultimate)

Hi All-

I am trying to back up an external HDD that contains my photos and music to another external HDD. I have done this before- this is to update for additions. When I select the My Music folder from the source drive right click/copy, then right click/paste to the destination drive, the dialogue box shows “preparing to copy” for a few seconds, shows a low number of files, then disappears. No copy takes place.

When I right click the My Music folders from each drive and select “Properties”, the folder on the source drive takes a few seconds longer to collect the data. This makes me think that it is a timing out problem, perhaps?

Any help y’all could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks./ cel

Thanks

Re: Fail to Copy (Ultimate)

Googling on
    <code>vista "preparing to copy"</code>
    gets you a multitude of hits!

Perhaps this article at Winforum may help?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I did some Googling, and searched The Lounge before posting. I guess I didn’t Search the correct terms.

The article referring to Robocopy GUI looked to be exactly what I would be looking for. First, I looked for the copy of Robocopy that the article said should have been included in Vista. Upon executing the app, a black-screen DOS-type box flashed on my monitor. I had to grab the image via PrintScreen and paste into Word to read it, since it immediately closed. It appears to be just the DOS directions for Robocopy.

I downloaded and installed the RobocopyGUI program. I checked the box to copy subdirectories, too. However, upon clicking Run, the program instantaneously said that it was finished copying. (It didn’t copy anything).

Different posts make mention of a Vista bug, but it doesn’t sound like this is the case. The bug is that Vista is slow to copy, inaccurate estimates, etc. but not that it won’t copy (at least what I’ve read about it)

Where am I going wrong? I’m finally following my own advice to BACKUP and I can’t manage to do it. Thanks./ cel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe-

As part of my troubleshooting, I downloaded that hotfix and tried to install it. Vista being the All Knowing OS that it is, put up a dialogue box telling me that I didn't need it. And wouldn't install it. Go figger.

Thanks./ cel

Administrator
    Thanks

For a hotfix with Vista that generally means it is already installed. You did double check to make sure you downloaded the correct version for your version of Vista (i.e either the 32 or 64 bit version)?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

For good measure I downloaded the (32-bit) file again and tried to install it again. Vista won't let it install.

To get around this problem, I have tried to select a few folders from within the master folder and then to try to copy them over in batches- say select 10 subfolders, copy, select 10 more, etc. but Vista (again) will let me select only one subfolder at a time. I'll be here all night copying files. Is there any way that I'm missing to select multiple subfolders?

Thanks./ cel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Where did you install Robocopy GUI ? To function properly (that means to function at all) GUI must be installed in the same folder where robocopy.exe is, in case of Vista - in C:WindowsSysytem32 folder.

When you are starting Robocopy GUI, make sure you start it with elevated Administrator privileges. To do so, you must right-click the file in Windows Explorer and from pop-up menu select "Run as Administrator".
    If you start Robocopy GUI from a shortcut (on your desktop, for instance) you must right-click your shortcut first, from pop-up menu select Properties, then on the open window make sure that "Shortcut" tab is selected and click Advanced button, then on the next window check "Run as Administrator" checkbox, then click OK, Apply, OK. Now your Robocopy GUI is ready ot use.

Administrator
    Thanks

Joe

Thanks

I certainly wouldn't have guessed that (install GUI to WindowsSystem32). The installation location defaults to C:Program Files........ Thanks for the tip. Robocopy GUI is now running perfectly.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I uninstalled/reinstalled Robocopy GUI into the System32 folder. I installed the Hotfix 943899. Restarted, Yada, yada. No go.

Robocopy GUI immediately says "Robocopy job finished at 12:09 PM. View log files at..." (I don't see any log files, BTW). To run the program as an Administrator, I must go into the System32 folder and run it from there. Right clicking other places doesn't bring up "Run as Administrator".

Up until now I have been trying to backup my music files. Just now I tried backing up my photos, and that is working. It's copying 13,000+ items, so the number doesn't seem to be at issue (Music files = 15,000+) . When I click for Properties on the Music folder, it shows @150 files, then @475 files, hangs, and then continues the count up to 15,000. Could the hanging be a problem? I have tried to increase the number of tries (in the options tab of Robocopy GUI) but still it instantaneously says that the job is done.

While I am not having a problem playing music from the HDD, I did lose all my music a few years ago. The fact that there is some hanging doesn't sound good to me, all the more reason to backup now.

Any ideas as to what to try now? Thank you all for the help! / cel

Administrator
    Thanks

Did you create a shortcut to Robocopy GUI and follow the steps to update the shortcut in the last part of <post:=684,029>post 684,029</post:>? Can you post a screenshot of the shortcut properties in question?

As far as your 'hang' in Windows Explorer goes some delay is not unusual when there is a large number of sub-folder and/or files. It just takes a bit to organize things for the view you are using. The length of time is dependent on your hardware (CPU, RAM, disk speed) and what other applications are running.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe-

Right clicking on (any) shortcut, going to Properties/Advanced had the choices greyed out. It's OK, I can handle going via Explorer. Thanks./ cel

Thanks

Cel,
    I also had the Properties>Advanced>Run as Administrator grayed out, BUT that was the shortcut that the installation program had installed on the desktop. I deleted that one and created another shortcut from the executable. The "Run as administrator" was now available.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Lounger
    Thanks

Resolution (and a workaround for those with a similar problem):

I still can’t copy from one disk to another- “preparing to copy” and then it hangs. I didn’t install all the various patches pointed out. Thank you very much for the links and information. I did install one and read each patch, but ultimately decided that with Vista SP1 theoretically close to being released, I would just wait and see how things shook out after SP1 was installed.

What I did do was download the program WMatch3 from PCMag.com utilities section. I could then compare the two directories and sync the two from that program. The program also pointed out that I had a few corrupted files, which might be contributing to the problem.

Thank you all for your help and input./ cel