Star Lounger
    Thanks

OL 2003 slow when POPing several accounts (2003/SP3)

I use OL 2003 to POP mail from 6 accounts (two on the same domain). All are Internet accounts -- I don't use Exchange. When OL starts, or when I click Send/Receive, and it tries to POP all 6 accounts it's slow as can be. It can take 5 minutes to download 40 messages with a total size of under 200KB. But if I cancel the Send/Receive and download each mailbox separately it's almost instant. I can download 40 messages in a few seconds. I didn't have this problem with OL 2000 -- as I recall, it POPped one account at a time.

Any ideas about what's going on here? Is there a setting to tell OL to download one account at a time?

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: OL 2003 slow when POPing several accounts (2003/SP3)

If you have an antivirus product scanning e-mail try disabling that function.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe. I do have Avast set to scan inbound email (attachments only, and most of my messages don't have attachments). I turned off email scanning (in both places where Avast has email settings) but it didn't seem to make a difference. I also wonder why it would. Wouldn't the anti-virus need just as long to scan the same number of messages, regardless of how many mailboxes they're coming from?

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Antivirus scanning of e-mail is often a culprit of performance issues. I've seen threads in other groups where it seems as thought beginning with Outlook 2003 the POP interface was changed to connect to more than one server simultaneously and that this has caused performance problems for some. I've not seen a good resolution other than downloading one at a time manually. My A/V suggestion was a just in case suggestion.

Joe
    Joe