5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to have a 'please allow scripting message'?

Hello, when I brows the web I always use Firefox with the No Script extension. I have jav and flash set to disabled. Sometimes I see messages on a website informing me that to fully use the features of the site I need to enable flash. These messages disappear if flash is enabled. How is this done. How can one have a message displayed if flash or javascript is switched off. Is this based on css or something else?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

PS Happy Christmas Eve!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to have a 'please allow scripting message'

Hi Chris

I am scratching my head on this one, is there an example you could send to us as a link and then I'll have a go at interrogating the code for you?
    Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Jerry. I'm beginning to think I imagined the phenomena. I can't find any appropriate pages. I never thought to bookmark them. I guess the only thing to do is for me to report back if I find one.

Best wishes,

Chris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

No Problems Chris, I am an avid FF user only using IE for my work applications. This bit jumped up out of the page

<hr>...
    It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice
    ...<hr>

This may be the reason why they are coming through. I have a vanilla installation ( well nearly as I have a User Agent Switcher) and very rarely do I get pop ups now apart from the "Will you like to do a short online survey about this website" type slider.
    Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Remember Java and JavaScript are two different animals. If you have Java turned off here is some sample code that would output a message if a Java applet does not load

<applet code="prefuse/demos/GraphView.class"
    archive="/media/visualization/test.jar"
    width="800"
    height="500">
    <param name = "graphmlComponent" value = "net.graphml">
    If you can read this text, the applet is not working. Perhaps you don't
    have the Java 1.4.2 (or later) web plug-in installed?

<h3>Get Java here.</h3>
    </applet>

This is just an example. The applet tag is deprecated. You'd most likely use the object tag. See Using OBJECT, EMBED and APPLET Tags in Java Plug-in and Objects, Images, and Applets in HTML documents for more information. See Macromedia Flash OBJECT and EMBED tag syntax for a discussion of the tags for Flash.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Re: How to have a 'please allow scripting message'?

Are you referring to the message "click to activate" which happens on most flash, activex and other embedded objects? This can't be enabled for you via a browser setting but is a side-effect of a lawsuit that Microsoft lost with Eolas. It has nothing to do with allowing (or not) objects to be downloaded. Microsoft and Eolas have come to an agreement and with IE7 the fix will be built into the browser. There are numerous ways to workaround this but it all is done by changing how the object is embedded within your web page. Do a search for swfobject for one solution. I have read of problems with IE7 with pages that use this workaround so here we go again with yet another set of problems to workaround.

http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

Prepare your website to handle MS changes in IE:
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/activecontent/.../devletter.html

Deb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe, I'll follow up on the links you gave. I was referring to Javascript. I have Java switched off in the Firefox options and Javascript enabled. I then use No script to block Javascript and Flash unless specifically enabled by be for particular sites.

Best wishes,

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Deb. I don't remember seeing any of the messages you refer to. I don't use any version of Internet Explorer. I think the messages were particular to specific webpages.

Best wishes,

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting the message to appear for javascript is easy: <noscript>Your message here</noscript>. Anyone not running javascript will see the message, anyone running it won't. The message can of course include any html etc. that you want it to (so could be an image or whatever).
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

Thanks

> How can one have a message displayed if flash or javascript is switched off.

Adobe has documentation on its web site on different methods to test for Flash support. You might find the answer there -- assuming you can figure out their search engine!