New Lounger
    Thanks

WMPlayer & MGA Validation

Running WIN SP2, and have had Windows Media Player 11 for awhile. I've used it to play CDs, rip CDs and transfer music to my PDA. In the past few months, I've been unable to use it because it demands that I validate my copy of Windows. I've done this a zillion times, like everyone else. I've downloaded and run the MGA Diagnostic tool, hoping that would install something that would let WMP11 work. It didn't, or I didn't think it did. Then I found a couple of logs in my WINDOWS folder that seem to indicate the system is trying to let me ?install ?use Media Player, but the text breaks down to gibberish pretty fast. Gibberish to me, anyway.

I tried to unistall WMPlayer 11. First I get a warning me that this will entail a roll-back to the previous version. I click OK: I want to continue. Then I get another fancier screen about Windows Media Player roll-back, another query about wanting to continue....but NO Buttons for response: Cancel, OK, Continue.

My PDA uses WMPlayer, and the two versions have worked together nicely in the past. I just want a version, any version on my desktop that will run. Any ideas?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WMPlayer & MGA Validation

Welcome to the Lounge!

Unfortunately, from your post it is not clear, what's happen when you click "Validate" button on Windows Media Player window. Do you get any error messages or WMP starts to run normally until the next time?

Did you try to download WMP 11 from Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (this download requires validation too) and install it once again?
    If so, did you get any error messages?

When you tried to uninstall WMP 11, did you follow all steps described in http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...stallation.mspx ?

Maybe these two links be helpful for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...leshooting.aspx

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPo...90776&SiteID=25

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WMPlayer & MGA Validation

Sorry! I didn't mention the Validate button because there was none. Only a link to the MS Genuine Advantage Privacy Statement.

The links you included seemed helpful. After reading everything I could about installing and uninstalling, I decided to make sure my system & drivers were up to date before I tried reinstalling. I accepted every update WIN had to offer. That resulted in some interesting crashes. I realized I had NO system sounds. I didn't know if that happened because of the updates or if my attempts to uninstall WMP11 had screwed up something more basic. It is another "integral part of the operating system", after all. But I pressed on, hoping a reinstall would solve all these problems. Rechecked all my connections and made sure I hadn't muted anything. Me espouso had installed some memory recently, so he opened the box and made sure he hadn't jostled the SB card or any connections loose. I went to the Creative Media site and got every update offered there, so that my sound card/driver were as up to date as possible. After a ridiculous amount of time installing stuff, I had the same driver version as before, and some unusable utilities. Crashes and an error: unable to change your sound device to the selected device??

After all that I downloaded WMP11 (had to validate my copy of Windows to get it-again). When I tried to install it, I got the same buttonless admonition about needing to validate my copy of Windows! Any ideas? I'm pretty persistent, but this just keeps getting worse, and is burning time.

HC Crain