Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Printer Queue 'jammed' (Windows XP SP2)

Hi All,

I have an annoying problem with my printer (HP LaserJet 2300L) or Win XP SP2 - probably the latter. Actually the problem is more with me than either of those 2 but I'm hoping there's a way to fix the computer/printer/OS that's easier than trying to fix me.

This is a directly-connected printer in my home office. I usually have the power off. When I find something I want to print, I turn it on. The problem is that it takes about 30 seconds to warm up and initialize. In the mean time, I've hit the "print" button in whatever application I'm working in. I've notice the problem in Word 2003 and Outlook Express, but won't swear it doesn't happen in other programs; it's just that I print many things from Word (just happened to print an email from OE yesterday when this happened).

The problem is if I hit the print button too soon (before the printer is done with its routine), the job will hang in the print queue. Deleting the job from the queue does not help. Once this happens, I have found that the only thing that works is to restart the system. Of course, if I could be a little more patient, I'd save lots of time. Sometimes, the job will print if the printer was almost done with its initialization routine but if I print before this "mystical" boundary in time, the above is what my penalty is.

Added: I should note that what I see is a red X over the printer icon in the tray when I hit the print button the first time. Deleting the job does not remove the red X.

I checked the lounge and found <post#=564,266>post 564,266</post#> and <post#=569,764>post 569,764</post#>. This doesn't seem to be quite the same thing. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for my problem or any idea if the solutions in the referenced posts would work in my case also.

TIA

Fred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Printer Queue 'jammed' (Windows XP SP2)

The best thing to do is probably get in the habit of turning the printer on when you first sit down. The procedures in the posts you mentioned should work OK. Try the one with the least number of steps first. Have you checked at HP to see that you have to most current drivers for the printer?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer Queue 'jammed' (Windows XP SP2)

Hi Joe,

Thks for the response.

I did check the HP site but not recently. I'll check again today.

Fred