2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Move Outlook from WinXP to Vista (Outlook 2007)

I am setting up a new Vista machine to replace an aging WinXP system. Both have Office 2007. After I installed O2k7 on the new pc, I imported all of the folders from the old pc over the network. The import ran just fine, for all of the folders and contents. However, in the calendar I am missing the categories and colors that were assigned to the various appointments. On the old system I had assigned a color to each different type of appointment - business, personal, school, etc. But this information is now missing.

Under WinXP/O2k7, in which folder was this information stored in which files? Under Vista, to which folder should I copy these files? More importantly, where can I find information about these kinds of details?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Move Outlook from WinXP to Vista (Outlook 2007)

If you copy your .pst file from the old PC to the new one and tell Outlook on the new PC to use this .pst file, you should keep all categories and colors (they are stored in hidden messages in the .pst file).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will give the copy idea a try this evening. But I do not understand why these attributes would not be imported. Are there other little surprizes hidden in the pst? Where do you find this kind of information?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

If you had used Windows Vista: Windows Easy Transfer you may have avoided this issue.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook stores many settings (more with each new version) as hidden items. If you import a folder such as Inbox, you don't import these hidden items. If you search Google or the newsgroups for terms such as "outlook 2007" colors categories stored you'll find references to this, e.g. Apply Categories to other users Outlook 2007.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I will not be able to test either of them. when I got home my wife had already recreated the categories. It was a lot of work, she said. And regretably, I will now not be able to learn more from this little problem. But thanks for the help!