Star Lounger
    Thanks

blank records (any)

I often recieve worksheets to import into other applications, and often there are hundreds (sometimes over a thousand) blank records appended at the end. Does anyone know the reason for this, and is there a way to avoid it? It is counter productive to have to delete thousands of record lines, and I would like to avoid it if possible. Thanks........

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: blank records (any)

Can you give a bit more of an explaination of exactly what you are doing, and where the blank records show up?

1- Are you exorting data from Excel into some other format, and if so what format?

2- What other application are you talking about? What is it implemented in, Access?

3- If you are exporting to an intermediate file, are the blank records in the intermediate file?

4- If you do a Ctrl+End in the spreadsheet, where does the cursor go. Iit goes below the last data line, then there is something in the sheet that makes Excel think that blank rows have been used. This could be formatting. The only way to eliminate this is delete those rows and save the workbook.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have encountered this when importing into an Access table. I have never given much thought to Ctrl+End and seeing where the cursor goes, but I will try it next time this happens. This instance was a co worker importing an excel spreadsheet into a Word mail merge document. She noticed it took an exceptionally long time. She then noticed the blank records. That is about all I can offer. Thank you

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

From that description, about all I can guess is that Excel thinks that there are many rows used aftre the last one that actually contains data. Like I said before, that could be something as simple as some formatting in a cell way down the sheet.

If you can find a spreadsheet where this happens and post a copy here, we will be glad to take a look.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Legare, thanks for the insight. You were correct in your assumption. There was a field way down in the spreadsheet that was formatted, and this must have been the reason for so many blank records at the end. Thanks for your help....