rlbroerman

password (MS Money 2002)

My Averetc computer crashed and was not repairable. I make a full backup on an external hard drive before the crash. I tried to retrieve my Money files but in the retrieval process a password is required. I used what I thought was my password but it didn't work. I also tried a utility that tries 50,000,000 different passwords but that didn' t work either. I contacted Microsoft and they couldn't help. I have lost all my past checking account information., Master Card information, financial planning, and budget. Can you help me around this password problem, please? I am desperate. My bank has electronic file only available for previous 3 months. The same is true for master card.
    Rick Broerman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: password (MS Money 2002)

How much is it worth to you? Elcomsoft claims that the Professional version of Advanced Office Password Recovery can open password-protected MS Money files, but it's not cheap.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If a hard drive from your dead computer is still working, you can try to connect it to your new computer and retrieve your .mny files.
    It is possible that you protected your backup with different password than your .mny file password.

By default, MS Money put its data files in Documents and Settings <username> <username>'s Documents folder.

Do not forget to copy your recovered .mny file to your permanent hard drive, move empty .mny files (if MS Money already created them) to another folder or delete them, and only then try to open your recovered .mny file with MS Money.

rlbroerman

I download their trial version and tried it on my Money file and it said " not password protected" Got any other suggestions?
    Rick Broerman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you set a password on the MS Money files, or did you use to log in to Microsoft Passport or Windows Live when using MS Money? If the former, I have no idea. If the latter, you can reset your password here: Windows Live Account - Reset Password.

Lounger
    Thanks

I have no idea how much they charge anymore, but AccessData Corp. is pretty good. they sell packages now when years ago they used to sell password revovery software for individual programs with Excel being their best seller. You could always find out how much.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Have just experienced a similar problem to Ribroerman. I've had my computer updated and I now can't access Money.
    The guy who updated my computer is completely unable to help even though I stressed with him I wanted money brought across when he did the upgrade. Had a very unhelpful phonecall with Microsoft.

I didn't ever have a password for Money which I've been using since 1997, just clicked on the Money icon and up it came.

Tried Hans' suggestion of Windows Live Account Reset Password to no avail. It did not recognise my email address. In fact I tried all the email addresses I've ever had which isn't many and nothing.

Has anyone else had the problem?