Thread: formula (2002)

New Lounger
    Thanks

formula (2002)

Good day. I need to discover whether an entry in a given cell is also in any of 4 other columns of similar data (street names, in this case). I've assigned the 4 columns a group name (an array?) and used it in a formula as follows: VLOOKUP(A2, TNowAry, 1,0). As stated, the formula tries to determine whether the street name in A2 is also in 4 other columns of street names that I've defined as "TNowAry." The result is "NA" but when I look at the fields, I see some names duplicated in all 4 columns. Failure. Thanks for any assistance. Happy Holidays. w

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: formula (2002)

VLOOKUP only looks for a match in the first column of the table_array (the second argument). None of the Excel search functions will do what you want, as far as I know. You could use the following custom function:

Public Function IsFound(AValue As Variant, ARange As Range) As Boolean
    Dim rng As Range
    Set rng = ARange.Find(What:=AValue, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)
    IsFound = Not (rng Is Nothing)
    End Function

Use like this:

=IsFound(A2,TNowAry)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for your speedy reply. I've pasted the code into a Module Window and Inserted a Custom Function. The results are True or False but not reflective of what I see. If you'd care to see a sample, I've attached a worksheet. Thanks very much. w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Please explain why the formula doesn't return what you want. "Baltimore St" is the only item that doesn't occur in any of the 4 columns, so the function returns FALSE in row 3. The other items do occur, so the function returns TRUE in the other rows.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I apologize for the confusion, sir. I need to know which address occurs in all fields (years), if any. I'm sorry for not making that clear at the outset. Thank you. w

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by the addition "if any". Please try to explain clearly and exactly what you want.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry. I need to know whether any address occurs 5 times, i.e., in all five fields, including the first field. Thank you for your patience, sir.
    w

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use the following formula. If you want to use named ranges, you'll have to define a name for each of the four lookup columns.

=NOT(OR(ISERROR(MATCH(P2,$BM$2:$BM$199,0)),ISERROR (MATCH(P2,$DJ$2:$DJ$199,0)),ISERROR(MATCH(P2,$FG$2 :$FG$199,0)),ISERROR(MATCH(P2,$HD$2:$HD$199,0))))

This formula doesn't use a custom VBA function, only built-in functions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's it!! Prof. Hans, you've don it again! My appreciation is inexpressible (like my explanations). Thank you very much! Best wishes for a Happy New Year!!