Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Wizard to create document (2003)

Hi All,

I've been tasked with creating a template for a document that we use a lot at work. Many of the people in our group do not know how to use Word correctly in terms of styles, etc. We'd like our documents to have a uniform look.

I started going down the road of a template but recalled that Word also has wizards that collect info and then populate a document. I thought that might be a better approach. To me, using a template would require people to select and update a collection of fields (eg, ASK or FILLIN fields) to enter info or using the Macrobutton field. I started down that path but I'm not sure I can count on people selecting the fields to update.

I did a search on the Lounge on wizards and came across Jefferson's star <post#=207602>post 207602</post#> but not sure if that's useful. I don't see how to connect the info to the document. Where is the document to be populated with the info collected? How does one alter the wizard for various things - we need to collect a title, author(s), type of document, version number, etc.

We'd probably want our wizard to be on a share drive so it can be used by everyone in the group and then come up in the File New dialog. But if we revise the document, I still might want to collect some info (eg, next version number, reason for change). I'm thinking I might also need a browse button somewhere.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on which way to go. Stick with a template (which, I'm thinking, might be needed anyway behind the scenes of the wizard) or go all the way to a wizard. I'm sure I'll be back once I get started.

TIA

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wizard to create document (2003)

You should be able to do what you want with a template.

The attachment to <post:=259,183>post 259,183</post:> contains a template Test.dot. When you create a new document based on the template, a userform is automatically displayed. The user can fill in a couple of values, and when OK is clicked, these are stored in document variables. The values are displayed in the document using DOCVARIABLE fields. (I could have used custom document properties and DOCPROPERTY fields instead)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks much for the starting point. I'll start to play with that.

A couple of questions to start (note that I've not done much VBA programming in Word and very little involved Forms).
    1. I noticed a new item at the bottom of the Tools menu called appropriately Settings. That seems to correspond to the name of your form. Does Word add an item to the Tools menu for every form in the document?

2. What is the difference between your approach and a Wizard? It seems in your approach that I'm opening a new document based on the template and I see the document and a Form for populating fields. With a Wizard, I don't see the document until I've clicked OK or Finish on the Form. This is not a major difference to me. I'm just wondering if there's anything else.

3. I'm guessing with either approach (yours or a "true Wizard"), I have to create a .dot file with placeholders (doc variables, custom doc properties, or bookmarks) to hold the info that's collected. So I may as well start with the template.

Thanks again.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. No, I created the new menu item by selecting Tools | Customize..., and the corresponding keyboard shortcut as well. Both run the macro ShowForm (in the basMacros module). I made sure that changes would be saved in the template. Word is very good at this - customizations stored in a document template will only be available in documents based on that template.

2. Some Wizards already display the document when you start them, others create the document from scratch when you click Finish.

3. To create a Wizard, you start by creating a template with everything you need, including a macro that starts automatically. Finally, you change the extension from .dot to .wiz. (In other words, a Wizard *is* a template)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the update.

I should have known about customizing the menu. For some reason, it escaped me at the moment.

I had a feeling I needed to create a template to begin with. It looks like I'm going to have to learn how to use forms, a subject I've never dabbled in with Word (have done it in Access), to make this project work well. I didn't know a wiz was a dot.

Fred