Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Analysis of Chkdsk Results (XP MCE SP2)

My first immersion in NTFS was a year and a half ago when I bought this Dell. I run CHKDSK C: /F each week prior to running my weekly TrueImage backup. I routinely get a results screen in Event Viewer that looks similar to the attached clip. For all these months, my gut told me it's not important, so I've plodded onward. Out of curiosity I went Googling on "cleaning up unused index entries" even going to far as adding a restriction to the MS domain with "site:microsoft.com". I get lots and lots of hits, more reading than I've been able to tolerate, but no real explanation of what NTFS means by the message.

Can anyone point me to something that explains what the message means, i.e. what IS an unused index entry?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Analysis of Chkdsk Results (XP MCE SP2)

"CHKDSK detected minor inconsistencies" error message in Windows 2000 and in Windows NT gives an idea. Not a whole lot of good help about this.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Analysis of Chkdsk Results (XP MCE SP2)

Thanks, Joe. I saw that article this morning but didn't read it completely because its tone seemed to revolve around the failure to specify the /F parameter, which I do use. However, the article DOES seem to convey a message that it's a non-important message about the cleanup of a little sloppy housekeeping on the part of NTFS. I think I'll keep reading just for the heck of it. Thanks again.