Thread: Faulty Funkey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Faulty Funkey

My brother kindly gave my little boy a Funkeys for Christmas. The CD installs a programme and a driver for the Funkey which plugs into a USB port. Unfortunately, the driver wouldnít load. So I went to their website and downloaded a patch. Whilst running the patch the pc blue screened and crashed.

Iím guessing that I have a faulty Funkey so I hope my brother kept the receipt. However, on re-starting the pc the printer failed to connect. This is not too serious as the printer driver offers to attempt to connect which I did and all seems well.

My problem is that I can no longer print from the laptop. The laptop and the pc both connect to the router wirelessly and the printer is connected to the pc through a USB port.

I thought the solution would be to delete the printer on the laptop and add it again but forgot to make a note of the printer path which I now need in order to add it again. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the add printer wizard to find my lost printer please?

Regards

Graeme

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Faulty Funkey

On the PC to which the printer is connected, double check and make sure the printer is shared. If it is then you should be able to select a network printer and navigate to it using the add printer wizard.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Joe

Thanks for the reply. The printer is shared and was working fine up until recently. However, the problem might go further than I first thought. The faulty Funkey may well have caused the printer driver problem on the pc but the laptop is unable to print because it canít see the pc at all. From the laptop the BT router is listed in My Network Places along with the laptop shared drive but the pc shared folder has vanished! If I click on View Workgroup Computers then both the pc and the laptop are listed but if I double click the pc name an error message appears telling me the pc is not available and that I might not have permission to use this network resource.

From the pc My Network Places I can see the router and both the pc and laptop shared folders.

The only changes Iíve made since it all worked ok is running a trial of Ashampoo Winoptimiser 4 and giving my boyís new PS3 access to the internet through the router.

Iíve worked through StewartRís list for troubleshooting networks in <post#=589,883>post 589,883</post#> and all seems well.

Any suggestions on where next to look?

Regards

Graeme

Administrator
    Thanks

Undo any changes from Winoptimiser? If you went through all the step in the troubleshooting <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:> at some point you should've been able to 'see' each PC from the other.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I ping the pc from the laptop I get a response but still nothing in the My Network Places!

Screen dump attached but it all looks ok to me. 192.168.1.64 is the pc ip address

Graeme
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks

What happens when you turn the firewalls off?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe

I'm guessing that last time I switched off the firewalls I probably didn't give My Network Places enough time. Fired it up, no mention of pc shared folder, shut it down! This time however, when the firewalls were shut down then Never Mind the Buzzcocks (new series) came on the telly. Next time I looked all shared folders could be seen by all sections of my network!

Turns out the listing for the laptop on the pc firewall trusted zone had the IP address for the pc. How this came about I have no idea! A quick edit and all is well again.

Thanks for your help.

So, anyway, do you have any suggestions for what I could do with the Funkey?

Regards

Graeme

Administrator
    Thanks

Glad you got all the networking stuff worked out. As far as Funkey goes, you could try it all again. I'd make sure I had a good backup of the system first. Check out the vendor support site for any clues about this sort of issue. You said the driver did not install. Did you get some error message? Rather than just a patch can you download a whole new version of the software?

Joe
    Joe