Silver Lounger
    Thanks

2002 to 2007 (2002)

Hi,

I have a client who is presently using an access database that was written in the 97 version. I took it over and upgraded it to 2002. They are now upgrading their software to and their IT person states that 2007 is vastly different than 2002 and they are wondering if they should NOT do an Access upgrade. Is there anything we should watch out for?

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2002 to 2007 (2002)

Office 2007 has the largest change in interface in the history of Microsoft Office - the old menus and toolbars have been ditched in favor of the "Ribbon". It takes a while to get used to it.

If your client doesn't have a compelling reason to upgrade to Office 2007, it might be wise to wait.

On the other hand, Access 2007 can work with databases in Access 2000 and Access 2002/2003 format without conversion. Many Access applications use form-based navigation instead of custom menus and toolbars, so it should be possible to use your database in Access 2007 without many problems.

I think it would be a good idea to let the client's IT person install Office 2007 on a test PC and see how your database works there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans! Our offices are still in 2002 and even though I upgraded at home to 2003 I didn't see much of change to make it worth the price at the office. My gut reaction is their contracted IT person automatically does an upgrade each year which costs the agency money they don't need to spend. I "hinted" at that and you comment of waiting helped the cause.

Thanks!
    Leesha

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Adding my 2 cents, there are some things in 2007 that will aggravate users for sure. New users seem to adapt to it pretty quickly, but those of us who have used it for some time find the changes inconvienent at best. Try finding the Compact and Repair DB command for example - not where you would expect it to be. Also there are at least two big take aways that I find limiting. The "Windows in the Taskbar" option no longer exists, and User Security has been removed completely in .accdb format databases, and the administration of the User Security workgroup file is lacking for 200/2002 format .mdb files.
    Wendell