New Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt Configuration Registry Database

Hi All and Happy New Year!
    Several times I have tried to use Windows Vista (Home Premium) Backup and Restore Center to backup my hard drive to a removable drive. Each and every time the backup fails and I get the message "The configuration registry database is corrupt. The code is 0x800703F1. I have researched the Microsoft knowledge base and have chatted with a Microsoft technician online. Nothing has helped. Can anyone shed light on what this error is, how I got it and how I can fix it? I want to continue to backup my hard drive to another external drive and not have to resort to backing up to DVDs or CDs. Thanks for any help or ideas.
    Sincerely,
    Mike Rapp (foureyes)
    Illinois, USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt Configuration Registry Database

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

I'm not an expert in either Windows Vista or backup, but since nobody else has posted a reply yet: do you only get this error when you try to create a backup, or in other situations also?

If only when creating a backup, you might consider using a specialized backup application - see <!profile=joeperez>joeperez<!/profile>' recommendations in <post:=685,772>post 685,772</post:>.

If the problem occurs in other situations too, you should either load a restore point from before the problem started (if you have one), or repair your Windows installation.

I hope others will come up with more detailed suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans. I will most certainly take your advice and be sure to create Restore Points as well as use a commercial backup program. I believe in frequent backups, so the investment will be worth it.
    Best regards,
    Mike R.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

This indicates a registry corruption. Have you tried a repair installation? Were you running anything else at the time?

Joe
    Joe