5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What is volsnap? (Home Premium)

I installed a software program three days ago, then decided to remove it. Thought I would use System Restore to revert to the machine's previous state. Upon opening the System Restore, I found there was only one restore point, and it was created after the software was installed. Bummer... I *know* there had been other recent restore points, because I had used the system about two or three weeks ago. Started Googling to see if I could find a cause: disk space should not be an issue because there are 9 of 30 GB free on the C: drive. Other info suggested I look for SystemRestore items in the Windows event log. Did not find any such items, but I did find this item in the event log:

Log Name: System
    Source: volsnap
    Date: 2007-12-31 9:03:38 AM
    Event ID: 33
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: oscar
    Description:
    The oldest shadow copy of volume C: was deleted to keep disk space usage for shadow copies of volume C: below the user defined limit.

???? What user-defined limit? Could this be related to the missing Restore points? BTW, the timestamp for this event is prior to my installation of the software, but there are additional "volsnap" events that are after the installation.

Have I overlooked a setting that would cause System Restore to only retain one restore point? It's pretty-much useless in its current configuration.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What is volsnap? (Home Premium)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting stuff. That link lead me to http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrpv.html , which hints that Vista can delete the Restore Points if it is not certain of their history. While it doesn't answer my question in so many words, it does make me suspect that Vista deleted them without notification.

I have increased the size of the shadow area from about 4.5 GB to 6 GB. The used and allocated space was about 1.4 GB.

Thanks for the help.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

AFAIK, System Restore even with Windows ME has always deleted restore points as needed without notification. System Restore is supposed to provide a safety net to help get a broken system up and going but operating in the background without user intervention until a restore might be needed.

Joe
    Joe