2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Convert drive to FAT format

I recently bought a SONY NAS-50HDE Network Audio System (would strongly advise against this!) as I have found it impossible to connect either to my network or to a USB hard drive which it is supposed to do. Apparently, it can only deal with FAT drives. I have a Barracuda 7200.7 120GB hard disk drive which is currently formatted as an NTFS drive but when I try to re-format as a FAT drive, this option is not available - only NTFS appears in the drop-down menu. Could it be that thsi drive will not allow this sort of format? Or is there something else I can do.

I am using a 2 year old Dell Inspiron running XP Home.

Help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Convert drive to FAT format

The maximum size of a FAT32 disk that can be created under Windows XP is 32GBytes, so you would need to create a number of smaller partitions if you want to format this with Windows XP.

Windows XP can mount a larger FAT32 volume, if you have another operating system available that can format the disk (Windows 98 or ME).

See <!mskb=314463>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 314463<!/mskb> for more information.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You cannot format a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GBytes using Windows XP.
    You cannot "convert" an NTFS partition to FAT, you would have to delete it and create a new empty FAT volume.

It may be possible to convert your NTFS partition to FAT using a third party tool such as Norton Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director. I have not tried this and cannot vouch for these products, but maybe a lounger who uses one of these can comment.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have any other operating system available. Does this mean that it is not possible to convert it to FAT32 at all?

At the moment, I am in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Disk Management.

When I right click on the disk space, I get 'New Partition'. I then get the 'New Partition' Wizard where I get to choose between 'primary partition' and 'extended partition'.

I have chosen 'primary partition'. I get to assign the disk space, and then choose a drive letter. I can then chose whether or not to format the drive or to format the drive with 'the following settings' - but the only file system available is NTFS.

is there another approach which would allow me to get the 32GB FAT32?

Thanks

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure how I delete the partition and create a new empty FAT volume (the disk does not currently contain any data so deletion/re-formatting is not a problem).

I think I have deleted the partition and now have a 'basic' disk whihc is unallocated. If I try to create a new partition, I am still given only anNTFS format option.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Got it!!! Realised I had to allocate a size to the partition which I set at 32GB and now have FAT 32 option.

Thanks for your help - I'm afraid I am a novice at this but getting there!!