3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2003 Slow Response - 1 document (2003 SP2)

Win XP Pro SP2, mixed Microsoft & Novell network

User reported that when he attempts to make modifications on a shared Word document, it takes a long time for items to show up. When he types or tries to move from one field to another, it is very slow (if you type a word, you can actually see the letters come up several seconds after you type). User reported that others in his area have the same issue. User reported that this has been happening for about 3 months or so. Other documents at the same location are fine.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2003 Slow Response - 1 document (2003 SP2

If it's happening with just one file, maybe it's a compatibility issue. Maybe the file originated in a different or older format. To check go to Tools menu, Options, and under Compatibility tab look to see which version is listed under Recommended Options For. We had something that sounds similar with users who were opening older version of Word documents. When they changed that setting to their current version of Word their slowdown problem went away.
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2003 Slow Response - 1 document (2003 SP2)

Daisy's suggestion is a good one. Here is another thing to try:
    - Press Ctrl+A to select the entire document.
    - Press Shift+left arrow to exclude the last paragraph mark from the selection.
    - Press Ctrl+C to copy the selection.
    - Press Ctrl+N to create a blank new document.
    - Press Ctrl+V to paste.
    - Press Ctrl+S to save the new document.
    - The user may have to adjust the page settings etc. in the last section of the document.
    - If the new document works better than the old one, keep the old one as backup and use the new one.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2003 Slow Response - 1 document (2003 SP2

This is always a good starting point. But before ruling this "fix" out copy the document to Notepad. That strips out all formatting except tabs. You can then copy that to a new Word doc and check it out. Yes, it will kill any tables, hyperlinks etc. but it may give an idea of what/where something is bogging down.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all, I have forwarded your comments to our man in Indy and am waiting for some feedback. If there is a smoking gun I will report back with additional kudos.

-Jester

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is what our tech from Indiana reported:
    The comment that it was an old file was a bit misleading - they make changes and save it with a new name each month. I did find out that when the file is smaller (at the beginning of the year), there is no issue - by the last 3 months or so of the year is when they start having issues. I suggested that instead of adding to it every month, they just start over every month to keep it small, and they are going to try that.

So thanks for the suggestions and we'll see if this was just a grossly oversized file or some other smoking gun is discovered.

-Jester