4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing a 'locked' add-in (Adobe Acrobat) (2003)

There are two ways to create a PDF from a Word file with Adobe Acrobat. One is to print to a " Adobe PDF" device driver, which is sufficient for my needs. The other is to use one of several menu and toolbar commands. I want to remove the toolbar because I never use it, it wastes screen space, and I suspect it of causing problems by interacting with some macros I use.

Easier said than done. If I close the toolbar, or remove it with the View/Toolbar command, it just pops up again the next time a document is opened or closed.

I decided to stop the toolbar from reappearing by removing the Adobe templates, PDFMaker and PDFMakerA, from Word. Removing PDFMakerA was easy, but had no effect. Removing PDFMaker turned out to be impossible. When I select it, the "Remove" button is disabled.

Does anyone know how to remove a template in this situation, short of uninstalling Acrobat completely?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing a 'locked' add-in (Adobe Acrobat) (2003)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing a 'locked' add-in (Adobe Acrobat) (20

Unfortunately, no. I renamed it so that it loaded before PDFMaker, but it had no effect, except to make Word warn me that a macro was trying to execute at startup.

As an experiment I tried setting macro security to Low. That got rid of the macro warning but not the toolbar. (ZapAdobe is unsignd, so I don't think there's a safe way to get rid of the warning.)

I changed the extension of both ZapAdobe and PDFMaker so that Word won't load either one, and that solved the problem. I don't know yet if it will have unforeseen side effects. This is a solution, although not the one I foresaw.

I still wonder how Adobe managed to lock the Remove button.