3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying files from a server to a Pocket PC

I have a system running on a Pocket PC that was written in VB .NET 2005. When docked to a desktop, it successfully opens an SQL Server Database runniing on a server and copies and moves data to and from it. All movement of data is controled by the Pocket PC. THis works with or without ActiveSync running.

I want to copy a file from the server onto the Pocket PC using the .NET File.Copy function and I can't get it to work. I have tried the obvious File.Copy("MyServerMyfolderMyFile.txt, "MyPocketPCFolderMyFile.txt) and it always gives me errors. The Pocket PC system must know about the server as the database connection works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated as always.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Copying files from a server to a Pocket PC

What errors are you getting? The connection to the SQL server DB is via ODBC. What happens there is different than the .NET runtime. Can you try to import the text file to the SQL DB and then use your VB app to download it?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying files from a server to a Pocket PC

Thanks for the reply Joe.

I get a generic 'File not found' error when I try and copy. I have thought about embedding the file as a BLOB in the database but I haven't got round to trying yet. This effort is all part of an Intermec 741 based customer survey system we have developed and I'm trying to create a way to automatically update the software on the units if a new version is available. Intermec themselves have a system that does this but its clumsy and expensive and as we have over 800 units in the field we need cheap cheap cheap.

Anyway, I'll keep trying and post back if I find out how to do this.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell