3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Domain Server Access Issue

Hi,

I am running a Windows 2003 domain at home and I am having an access issue, specifically the ability to rename files or do anything much else with them.

I can't remember exactly what happened but the domain server collapsed (blue-screened) about 3 months ago and I rebuilt it very quickly migrating my client PC's across to the new domain and setting everything up much the same way as I did before. I was fortunate inasmuch as my data disks were not affected (I had tape backups anyway) so I rebuilt the server slightly better and migrated the data across to a RAID controller (both source and data were NTFS, I mention that because I think transfer of rights from old domain to new may be the issue). I have a share full of MP3's (all legal) and I try to organise these very logically and herein lies the problem.

If I try to rename files I have put there since the new server was built I have no problem but if I try to rename files that existed before or are put there by another user I have problems and get the following error:

"cannot rename xxxx.fil: access is denied"
    "Make sure that the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use"

Now I have tried to reassign both share, security & ownership rights over the various folders and sub-folders etc. but I noticed that although the "Current owner of this item" (Properties  Security  Advanced  Owner) changes to the requested user or group (I have an MP3 Editing group set up and put my userid and my oldest daughters in it, the userid's do not have admin rights but didn't need them pre-server collapse) and the user/group appears in the dialog below whilst making the change when I revisit the dialog it is missing from the list.

Broadly speaking I think this is some kind of carryover rights issue from the old domain but I am not sure so I am wondering what others think? If you think it is what I suspect than does anyone have any idea how I can correct it ... the only way I know how is to move the files to a FAT32 partition and back which I believe will strip away any existing permissions on them.

Thanks in advance

Kyu

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Domain Server Access Issue

Have you removed the PCs from the domain and then rejoined? On the PCs have you removed the user login folders and files and started from scratch as though connecting to the domain for the first time?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

Yes to the first part ....as far as I can tell when you join a new domain a new set of folders is created under "Documents and Settings" isn't it? Essentially I removed each PC from the old domain (to stand-alone client), moved the old domain information to an archive folder elsewhere on the PC, then rejoined the new domain.

Is that what you mean?

Kyu

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Yes, that is what I meant. That should've worked as far as domain membership. Then, as each user logs in the new set of files should be created under "D&S". You did not overwrite any of the new files with the saved ones did you? Instead of assigning group permissions what happens if you assign permissions to an individual user? The only issue I've seen is that when you copy files from media that Windows considers read-only read-only is retained and you must reset that yourself. But that is usually just copying from CD/DVD.

Joe
    Joe