New Lounger
    Thanks

Processing Time Stamps (Access 2003)

I have a biometric time clock which uses the employees fingerprint to create a timestamp. It doesnt log whether it is a punch in or punch out and there really isnt anyway to link the (2) punches together. Because the software it not very proficient, I would like to create my own database, but I am struggling with the issue of linking the punch in's to the punch out's. All I have is a table with the employee number and the date and time they punched the clock. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions as to how I can determine which punch is the punch in and which is the punch out? Also, keep in mind that a punch could be missed, which could also cause some problems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Processing Time Stamps (Access 2003)

Can you provide some more information?
    For example, do employees work within a fixed time frame, say they start no earlier than 7 AM and finish no later than 7 PM, or does your place operate 24 hours a day?
    Are there recognizable patterns in the in and out times, e.g morning shifts and afternoon shifts, or are the times distributed more or less randomly?
    Is there a maximum time between in and out, for example 10 hours, or do employees occasionally work 18 hours or even longer?
    Any other information about the in and out times will be helpful too.

New Lounger
    Thanks

When the employee punches in or out, the information recorded looks like:

UserID Date Time
    101 11/29/2007 8:06 AM

Start time is never before 7am. There is only 1 shift and the longest day would only be approx until 8 pm. Part of the employees take a 10 min break appox 10:00am and 2:30pm with a 30 min lunch. The other employees get an hour lunch without any 10 minute breaks. Also, workers are shifted around regularly depending on job load. So it would be possible for someone to take a 10 min break in the morning and then an hour lunch without break in the afternoon.

The final thing that I might add is that it is pretty common for an employee to forget to punch in or out, so I would have to be able to modify the records to add their missed punch.

Thanks for all your help Hans,
    Joey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The simplest algorithm would be to sort the time stamps by UserID, date and time, and to assign the first timestamp for a date "In", the second "Out" etc. If the total number of timestamps is odd, assign an arbitrary last "Out" time. This can be done using queries - see the attached sample.
    To do more would require extensive coding and applying "artificial intelligence" to analyze the patterns.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

This will work great. I was able to take the queries you set up and determine total hours worked as well as determine any missed punches. You are always a big help when I cant possibly beat my head against the wall anymore.

Thanks,
    Joey