5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Start Up Problems (WIN XP Home )

I am helping a friend with a HP system with Windows XP Home. When the computer starts, he has it set so that you need to press ctrl/alt/del, then enter a password. The system begins going through the startup process and then abruptly restarts. Once the system restarts, (may take 2-3 times) it shows that Windows has recovered from a serious error. I have run Disk Cleanup, Defrag, and SCANDisk but am still experiencing the startup problem. As I said, sometimes it takes 2-3 times to actually start properly. The Windows Serious Error data is non-specific.

Thanks

Re: Start Up Problems (WIN XP Home )

Have you done a full chkdsk (with the /f switch) ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe I did - I went to MY COMPUTER, then right clicked on C drive, went to PROPERTIES, then to TOOLS, and then to ERROR CHECKING and told it to AUTOMATICALLY FIX ERRORS. Upon restart, it went through the 5 stages. The startup problem was not resolved. Do I need to run CHKDSK from the RUN command?

Thanks

That sounds like the full thing to me!

Perhaps running System File Checker may find the problem - see How to use the scannow sfc tool in Windows XP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Have you checked the event logs? Have you made sure that the system does not automatically restart? Then you should be able to record what the error is.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My friend decided to "live with" the multiple startups as the system works fine once it gets started. He is just going to leave it on without shutting it down. I told him the alternative would be to reformat and reload windows and other programs. He decided to try "living with" the multiple startup issue and see what happens. Thanks for your help.