2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SQL on windows - slow performance in offcie

Hi

We have a very strange issue that I hope someone can help with. We have a SQL application running offsite on a hosted server. All of our 60 branches have no problem connecting to and using this application over 1MB ADSL lines. Our Head Office however has a 10MB leased line with very quick connectivity to the internet except for this one application. Simply bringing up the initial login screen takes 10 mins or more. When no-one is at Head Office on a weekend the application works fine. However after hours during the week when no-one is in the building the issue remains.

One thing we did notice is that when we replaced a faulty switch the problem disappeared but then reappeared a few days later. All other switches are working fine. Our network and internet connectivity is extremely fast. Could there be something in the firewall slowing down this app?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Note : I have posted this in the server section aswell. I didn't know what section to post in. Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: SQL on windows - slow performance in offcie

Is the application being accessed via Terminal Server? Is it a browser based app? Are the PCs in the Head Office configured the same (both hardware & software) as in the branch offices where it works well? Have you done any network monitoring - someone accessing streaming audio or video a lot?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me Joe. The Application is written in house and connects straight through to the external sql server. All branches are currently on Workgroups whereas Head Office is on a Domain. The PCís are setup in a very similar manner as the branches with the only difference being the domain status. Network monitoring is unfortunately the one aspect we are having trouble with as weíve had a look at various monitoring packages that provide a variety of options. Do you have any suggestions on monitoring software.

Administrator
    Thanks

You should be able to turn on logging on the switch/router. That should let you see globally what is going on traffic wise. Does internet access suffer on other PCs when a PC is trying to connect to the SQL app? Are you running ISA or any other proxy software? BTW, when you say connects straight through, do you mean you are running the application on the local workstation and just connecting to the remore DB?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

Using a port scanner, the application opens a connection with SQL port 1433 immediately. But then times out while waiting for a response from the DB server. Have checked through the firewall enabling all traffic from this server. Internet access for all users remains the same when trying to connect with the application. The app is run locally from each computer and connects directly to the remote DB. We are running an ISA server but itís new and the proxy setup hasnít been enabled yet.

Kind regards

Administrator
    Thanks

Here's a couple of searches that have lots of links on SQL Server performance - sql server remote access performance - Google Search and remote access performance "sql server" site:support.microsoft.com - Google Search. What version of SQL Server& service pack level? What server operating system & service pack?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

I have run a NIC sniffer (Wireshark) on my pc while trying to open this particular application. The TCP packets going to and from the external server seem to be full of Duplicate Acknowledgements, retransmissions and keep alive requests. Something is timing out somewhere. All other network traffic seems fine. Any ideas on how these issues are caused/can be resolved.

Administrator
    Thanks

I'll repeat:

What version of SQL Server& service pack level? What server operating system & service pack? also, what workstation operating system & service pack?

Joe
    Joe