2 Star Lounger
    Durham, North Carolina, USA

Data Validation lists are REALLY wide? (Excel XP)

Hi everyone,

A client has asked my help with some Excel data validation lists. The content in the lists themselves isn't very wide, but the drop-down list presented is REALLY wide, much wider than necessary. I haven't done one of these in a while, but I don't recall them working this way before.

Please see the attachment and try using the list to enter a version number into the version column on the "Master" sheet. The largest entry in the list is two digits, but the list is more like 40 characters wide. The others work similarly. Why? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Data Validation lists are REALLY wide? (Excel XP)

I am not sure what is causing the problem but it seems to be related to that worksheet and is not a problem with the workbook.

If I add a new worksheet, then select all the cells in MASTER (ctrl-a) then select A1 of the new sheet and paste, the validation is "fixed" in the copy with no other changes....

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Data Validation lists are REALLY wide? (Excel XP)

As Steve suggests, it appears to be some kind of corruption on that particular worksheet. Copying cells or columns from that sheet to another sheet makes the problem disappear, but copying the entire sheet copies the problem with it.