2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Issues with recognising USERPROFILE (Vista/Office 2007)

Hi, can anyone help?

I have an xml file stored under "Documents" and have code in Word 2007 that loads the file into a domDocument. The filepath I originally had is below (where I experienced no issues):

C:usersJack21DocumentsData.xml

but I wish to make this user specific as it needs to be deployed, so have changed the filepath to:

C:users%USERPROFILE%DocumentsData.xml

The problem I have is that the file is no longer detected. It appears that %USERPROFILE% is not recognised. Has anyone come across this or is there something wrong with the filepath I have in place.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Jack

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Issues with recognising USERPROFILE (Vista/Office 2007)

Try

Environ("userprofile") & "DocumentsData.xml"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. This was the approach I took in the end and it works fine. Slightly frustrating I cannot set this as a variable, which the other global variables, as I have to place the code within a function to run (well that appears to be the case).

Regards
    Jack

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Where did you want to use it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have set up a number of global variables, together with a fairly large chunk of code, in a file which is stored in StartUp (Generic Code.dot). I have a group of templates that reside in a template area which are linked to Generic Code.dot, which use the global variables on loading.

When I was testing the functionality I placed a global variable in this area and stored the data file in the Temp folder (Public Const c_strDataFile As String = "C:tempdata.xml"). I did not experience problems with retrieving information from the data file or writing to the data file. This I can only presume is because the string is hard coded. Changing the path to Public Const c_strDataFile as String =" c:users" & Environ("username") & "Documentsdata.xml" does not work when placed with the other global variables - I am assuming that this is because it does not recognise the string.

Is there a solution that will enable me to set the variable in the global variable location?

Many thanks
    Jack

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can't use a function in the definition of a constant. But you can declare a public variable at the top of a module:

Public strDataFile As String

and set this when the document containing the code is opened (in an Auto_Open macro or in the Document_Open event procedure in ThisDocument):

strDataFile = Environ("userprofile") & "Documentsdata.xml"

It will then be available to the rest of the code.