2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Document structure (Word 2003)

My wife gave me a 32 page document and asked if I would insert automatically generated page numbers and a table of contents. After having a great deal of difficulty getting the layout of the numbers to be at the correct level, place and layout, I began to mark the text for the table of contents. This did not generate as expected, I suddenly had all kinds of text from all over the document in the TOC which I had not selected or marked for inclusion. when I selected to view the document structure, I saw many headings being shown that I do not want to have included, and other heading were missing.

My question is this. How can I clear out all of the codes that have caused items to show up in the document structure, without destroying the automatic numbering? Is this some kind of Field code that I can make visible and then delete? What causes a text to show up in the document structure? Where can I find more (and detailed) information about this subject?

Thanks in advance!

Maury

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document structure (Word 2003)

Document Map view is best avoided, since it applies outline levels to what it deems to be headings, even if they aren't. You can reset the outline level in Format | Paragraph.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See Outline Levels and the Document Map and How Document Map works in Microsoft Word for more info about Document Map view.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!!! I now know what I wanted to know, and also how to tackle the problem. Thanks again,

Maury