3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting text in merge fields (Word 2004 for Mac (very similar to Word 2000 or 2003))

I'm creating a series of form letters for which the data comes from a database. The database fields are formatted to display text in all caps, and most of the data entry people enter text in all lowercase. For the form letters, we want some fields to be formatted as title case, some as all uppercase and some as lowercase. When we run the merge, of course the text is coming in as typed, which is all lowercase.

I tried selecting the merge fields and running the Change Case command to make them Title Case. However, that formatting does not hold when you view the merged data. Does anyone have a solution other than selecting each field in each letter and changing the case? Many thanks.

Lee Morgan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Formatting text in merge fields (Word 2004 for

You should be able to add a format switch to the fields in Word to format the text the way you want. In Word 2007 which I have on this PC you could add a * upper to get all caps or * caps to get initial caps

I'm pretty confident this was available in the earlier versions of Word so it should work for you. Have a look at the online help for formatting field codes for more information.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting text in merge fields (Word 2004 for

Thanks! I'll give it a try.