Lounger
    Thanks

How to Bring a Computer on Standby 'Back to Life'

I'm sure this is embarrassingly simple, but I'm willing to be embarrassed.

I recently read (in a "Windows Secrets" mailing) how to save power by putting my computer on standby (not hibernate) when leaving it alone for awhile. I have now figured out how to put my computer automatically on standby, but no one is giving me a clue as to how you bring it "back to life." My one effort resulted in shutting the whole thing down.

I honestly don't know if this is really a hardware question (if so, I have a generic PC) or an OS question (Windows XP) -- or just a silly question! But help! What do I push/click/do/intone to get my standing-by computer to return to a living state? Thank you!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to Bring a Computer on Standby 'Back to Li

Generally a simple press of the power button will wake up the computer. Some machines can also be configured to wake on mouse or keyboard activity - my desktop at home is set up this way, through the BIOS. Try clicking the mouse or pressing the space bar to see if either wakes the machine. You might also consider checking the BIOS to make sure that the suspend type is S3 (Suspend to RAM or STR) as opposed to the older method (S1).

It's kind of a hardware question and kind of a Windows question - Windows can't do this trick without hardware support, so you've posted appropriately! If it turns out to be a software issue, we can move the thread to the appropriate board.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Mark! The space bar did it.

And thanks for not making me feel anymore foolish than I already felt!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You're welcome... and I would never intentionally make someone feel foolish; that's why we buy computers!
    -Mark