3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

StarPost Relative Paths in Word Fields (All) (xp

I am trying to understand how the starpost "StarPost Relative Paths in Word Fields (All) " affects normal word users.

What is the problem this starpost is addressing?

Thanks

Tom

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: StarPost Relative Paths in Word Fields (All) (xp

The thread Tomy is refering to is found <!post=here,670,027>here<!/post>.

Tomy, I cannot foresee that this will affect "normal" word users at all. Though fields are not uncommon to use in Word, the most common would be Page Number fields and Date fields. The Start Post created by <!profile=macropod>macropod<!/profile> is an advanced way to manipulate a field to make the address it points to relative. Without his tip, the fields would only point to the specified document that is stored in the field.

If you understand relative and absolute cell addresses in Excel, this is a similar concept that is applied to field addresses in Word.
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: StarPost Relative Paths in Word Fields (All) (xp

The star post applies to documents that contain references to external files, such as a hyperlink to another file, or a linked picture. If your documents don't have external references, you have no use for the star post.

In some situations, the reference contains the full path of these external files, e.g. C:Other FilesExcelResults.xls. This is called an absolute path.

In other situations, the reference only contains information that tells how to get to the file from the location where the Word document is stored. For example, if the file is stored in the same folder as the Word document, the reference contains only the filename of the external file. This is called a relative path.

It is not uncommon to move a folder structure containing a document and the external files to another location, for example from a local hard disk to a network drive, or to a CD, or to a different computer. Unless the new path of the document happens to be exactly the same as the old path, only references with a relative path will still work; those with absolute paths will fail (in most situations). Macropod's star post describes a method for *forcing* Word to use a relative path in external references, so that they will keep on working correctly even if the folder structure is moved to another location.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: StarPost Relative Paths in Word Fields (All)

Rudi and Hans - thank you I understand what is going on now - I certainly doubt if I will ever need that capability

Tom