New Lounger
    Thanks

virtual memory (windows xp)

I'm trying to help a friend with here computer. When it starts up a message appears in the right bottom area of the screen which says that the virtual memory is to low , I can't remember the exact wording in it but the computer seems to be running slower than before. I found where the virtual memory is on the control panel which has a horazontil adjustment bar, which was set at about a quarter of way down from the left side. I ajusted it to about half way down. The virtual memory message no longer appears. My question is can I increase it further or leave it where it is? Whould increasing it to max. help to run any faster? Any and all responses will be much appreciated. Thank you all for your time. Jack

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: virtual memory (windows xp)

I'd let Windows XP manage virtual memory by selecting "System managed size" - see screenshot below (I don't see a slider for virtual memory)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (8.7 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: virtual memory (windows xp)

And I wouldn't mind knowing where this slider is also, Jack. Would you tell us where you found it just in case you've changed something that you shouldn't?