5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firewall Trouble

I've been using Sygate Pro 5.5 for several years. However, today I discovered that if I set it to block Thunderbird and then download email Thunderbird was able to download messages. This came as a shock. I've just tried out Comodo Firewall 3 and with no rule set for Thunderbird I was able to get email without a prompt. If I specifically blocked Thunderbird then Comodo does block it, so that seems to be an improvement. But I'm still concerned as I don't really understand what is going on. I'm wondering if it could be because I am using popfile. Email is filtered through Popfile before it gets into Thunderbird. Popfile is allowed to go online so perhaps that's why there was no prompt regarding Thunderbird. I'd be grateful for any comments or suggestions as to how I can check, or strengthen my security. I'm using AVG 7.5 as antivirus and I also have ProcessGuard and Boclean running.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Firewall Trouble

Yes, that is why you don't see anything for Thunderbird. Popfile and other spam filters that are separate products act as proxies. They are actually the ones connecting to your ISP and downloading the e-mail. Thunderbird (and any other e-mail client) connects to Popfile and gets the e-mail that is already on your system.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As I've told Chris in another post, I don't know anything about Popfile, good or bad, or why he chose it. But, with Mailwasher pro spam blocker I don't have this kind of problem. MW let's me review the mail while it's still on the server of my ISP and after deleting and/or blacklisting the ones that are spam, download to MY machine only the mail that I trust. I've NEVER had a problem with Thunderbird using this strategy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've heard good things about Mailwasher but I wouldn't want to pay for, or use a product that promotes bouncing spam as a feature. I think that's a very poor idea. Like k9, Popfile is free but I think it is a little more difficult to set up. I think I need to do some more testing. My problem is less with Thunderbird than a worry that my Sygate Firewall wasn't as secure as I thought it was. I'm currently experimenting with Comodo 3's basic firewall.

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe, I need to do some more testing and try blocking the proxie as well. I may well have got rid of Sygate when it wasn't actually at fault. I think I still prefer it to Comodo even though it definitely looks its age.

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

According to what I'm seeing at Mailwasher pro spam blocker | Firetrust Ltd in the "How does MailWasher Pro work?" paragraph, Mailwasher is similar to a web-mail client but directed to a single purpose only. It is implemented differently than other anti-spam products that do download the e-mail and then attempt to classify it. Since you configure Mailwasher the same way as you would an e-mail client for access to your account and are pre-processing the mail at the server then any e-mail client should work without changes to its communications configuration. Just as you've never had a problem with your setup, I've never had a problem getting e-mail with any of the spam filters I've used.

Joe
    Joe