jhuden

How do I tab order form fields in Word 97? (Word 97 Pro)

I have created electronic forms using a table to control how the form adjusts text. I'd like to have the form tab to certain fields in a certain order (not in the table row order or across the page). Heck if I can figure out how to do that. Anybody have any experience doing that?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How do I tab order form fields in Word 97? (Word 97 Pro)

The only ways I know to do this are:

a. Have the fields in a table with no borders drawn. The tab order then is for all the fields in the first table cell, then the fields in the second. etc. So it effectively behaves like going down one column then onto the next

b. Having a macro to run on exit after each form field to transfer focus to another form field.

The second method has gotchas. It transfers focus- but the last thing it does after executing the macro is to do what the tab key was going to do anyway- and that is to go to the next form field.The only workaround that I know for that is to use "SendKeys". It's all messy and slow, and not really recommended.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Simply take a look at knowledge base article Q159896.
    The macro is simple, but do believe what the note states: Each Case statement below should be in all lower case.
    A field might be named 'Text2' but the case statement must be: Case "text2"

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q159/8/96.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q159/8/96.ASP</A>

By default the tab order is the order of entry into the form.

Bob_D

jhuden

Thanks Geoff, that worked very well for one of my forms.

jhuden

Thanks Bob. It worked like a charm, but...... do you know a way that the tab key will work in the macro but you can still mouse click in another field? Now, regardless if I use <Tab> or the click with the mouse, the order is followed. I'd like to be able to use the tab key to go in order or use the mouse to skip to other form fields.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know it's one or the other, not both. Unless a VBA guru can come up with something.

Bob_D